Healthy Slow Cooker Oatmeal, this steel cut oats crockpot recipe cooks up creamy while still maintaining some texture. It’s an easy overnight recipe!
Use your slow cooker and have a warm breakfast ready to eat in the morning.
HEALTHY SLOW COOKER OATMEAL
Make-ahead breakfasts are essential for busy mornings. If they’re delicious and healthy, that’s a bonus!
These slow cooker steel cut oats are just the thing on one of those mornings. Not only do they taste good, but eating a healthy breakfast gets your day off to a great start.
This is a great recipe for the whole family and it makes a lot. It also reheats really well so if you don’t have a slow cooker with a timer you can make it the night or day before and reheat them in the microwave before servings them.
For best results when reheating, I found they are pretty thick but adding a little more almond milk makes them creamy again.
Something magical happens to oats in the slow cooker.
- I do recommend that you stir it a couple of times during the cooking process so that the oats don’t stick to the bottom.
- As well, this recipe works best at a low-temperature setting and if your slow cooker runs extra hot, you may want to cook it on the ‘warm’ setting.
I like to make the oats with this basic recipe, then spruce them up once plated.
- Apple sauce
- fresh fruit – try peaches and cream or strawberries and cream
- Dried fruit
- Chocolate chips
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Healthy Oatmeal Date Breakfast Cookies
- Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oats
- Greek Yogurt Berry Parfait
- Blueberry Mango Overnight Oats
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version on December 18, 2012. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Healthy Slowcooker Oatmeal
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 and ½ cup almond milk unsweetened (I prefer the vanilla flavor)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder optional
- In a slow cooker combine the oats, coconut water, almond milk, and protein powder; whisk to combine. Turn on low and cook for 3 to 4 hours until the oats are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve in bowl and top with craisins, flax seed, and nutritional yeast.
Stove top method:
- Combine oats, coconut water, almond milk, and protein powder in a medium-size pan; whisk to combine. Turn to low and cook 20 to 30 minutes or until oats are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Topping ideas: fresh fruit, raisins, craisins, flaxseed, nutritional yeast.