Huevos Rancheros Casserole a zesty Mexican inspired casserole makes a hearty dinner or a special brunch. It’s a comfort food dinner or breakfast everyone will love! Layers of tortillas, seasoned meat, eggs, and cheese is a meal even a novice cook can make.
My family loves Mexican food, so much so that we have it at least twice a week. At least. With one very picky child and one that doesn’t like meat that much Mexican and Italian (pizza or spaghetti) are usually our go-to restaurants. I’m sick of pizza and frankly, pretty broke from eating out with the amount it takes to fill up teenage boys. I’ve been experimenting with Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes at home.
In fact, last week after having el Pastor Tacos, Lighter Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas with Avocado Mango Salsa, and this Huevos Rancheros Casserole, Big Daddy requested a non-Mexican food night!
You may enjoy these recipes too
Huevos Rancheros Casserole
- He did, however, rave about how good Huevos Rancheros Casserole was and said it made a great presentation.
- I kind of loved how easy it was to make. It would be great for a brunch since it can be put together ahead of time.
- Additionally, one thing he didn’t know, is it’s lighter in fat and calories than traditional Huevos Rancheros. I used ground turkey. There are so many seasonings and flavors going on, you really don’t realize it’s a healthier protein.
- Feel free to add more eggs if you wish. You can add as many as will fit or you as many as you want.
- If you want to go even lighter, omit the cheese. I won’t tell if you want to add more either. More cheese is always good.
- Check out Paula’s Picks at my Amazon store for my favorite casserole dishes and such.
Huevos Rancheros Casserole
Yield 6-8 servings
A zesty Mexican inspired casserole, Huevos Rancheros Casserole, makes a hearty dinner or brunch. Comfort food at it's best that your whole family will love!
- 1 pound turkey sausage (ground beef, chicken, or chorizo can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces enchilada sauce
- 4-6 medium-sized corn tortillas (I used low carb)
- 1 (14.5-ounce can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce can) diced tomatoes, UNdrained
- 2 cups Cheddar Colby cheese blend
- 4-8 eggs
- 3 green onions, chopped for garnish, if desired
- ½ cup chopped cilantro for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sauté turkey with paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and (optional) cayenne. Once the turkey is fully cooked, set aside.
- Add 4 ounces of enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Place 4 to 6 corn tortillas over the sauce, overlapping and coming up the sides of the pan about an inch and a half.
- Sprinkle the rinsed & drained black beans over the tortillas.
- Evenly spread the tomatoes over the black beans.
- Add the cooked turkey, top with 4 more ounces of enchilada sauce.
- Use a spatula to smooth it all out so it’s even across the pan.
- Sprinkle on 1 cup of the cheese over meat.
- Use a spoon to make 4 to 8 evenly-spaced holes for the eggs, about an inch and a half deep by 2 inches wide. Gently crack each egg and place it in the hole.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake the casserole for 25-35 minutes.
- Check the doneness of the eggs starting around 20 minutes. Continue monitoring the eggs until they are cooked to your liking, 29 to 30 minutes were the 'sweet spot' for my eggs.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Courses Breakfast, Dinner
Cuisine American, Mexican
As a busy mom, Paula saw the need to simplify cooking and meal prep without sacrificing flavor. She provides simple recipes and time-saving strategies for delicious and nutritious meals for your family. Please share CallMePMc.com with your friends.