Freshly Ground Black Pepper Mascarpone Scones have layers of fluffy goodness bursting with buttery flavor.
I’ve had the idea for these Freshly Ground Black Pepper Mascarpone Scones for a long time. Usually, when I have the recipe in my mind for so long, it’s a let down when I make it because I’ve built it up so much. That’s not the case with these scones. The flavor was spot-on with what I envisioned. The black pepper paired with the buttery ‘biscuit’ is reminiscent of biscuits with pepper milk gravy.
The black pepper paired with the buttery ‘biscuit’ is reminiscent of biscuits with pepper milk gravy.
The texture was ideal as well. They were perfectly crispy on the outside and corners with a soft, dense but not packy inside.
These Freshly Ground Black Pepper Mascarpone Scones have just he right flavor without going overboard. Give them a try today!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons very cold butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- In another bowl, stir together cream and mascarpone until the mixture is smooth.
- Add cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir until it forms a dough. Use your hands if necessary.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface. I like to pour it onto a sheet a waxed paper then use the paper to help push the dough together.
- Pat into a rectangle that 1 to 1 and ½ inch thick.
- Cut into even scones.
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet and bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. Serve with butter.