This is an authentic Kentucky Bourbon Balls recipe. They are rich, smooth, decadent, and delicious! It’s a Southern delicacy of a sweet boozy confection of sugar, pecans, and bourbon.
A bourbon ball is a Southern delicacy, invented by Ruth Hanly Booe of Rebecca Ruth Candy in 1938. Bourbon balls are bite-sized confections incorporating bourbon and dark chocolate as an ingredient.
We recently took a trip to Kentucky and did the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. I wasn’t a fan of bourbon until this trip. After learning the process and testing all the different bourbon formulas, I quickly became a fan. Although I prefer Woodford Reserve and Maker’s Mark over the others, every tour offered a unique and interesting experience.
Can eating bourbon balls make you drunk?
While bourbon balls certainly contain enough alcohol to taste that it’s there, the likelihood of getting drunk off of them is very minimal. Only 3 tablespoons of bourbon is used, which is then dispersed among other ingredients and then divided into 36 different candies.
Shop this post
- Mix pecans and bourbon in a bowl and allow to soak for an hour.
- Then add pecans and bourbon to the butter and sugar mixer.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Using a fork to hold the bourbon ball, dip each ball in chocolate covering completely. Hold ball over chocolate a few seconds to allow excess to drip off. Place back on waxed paper to cool completely. *If you choose to top with a pecan half, nuts, or salt immediately press on top of the ball before chocolate cools and hardens.
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Every tour allowed you to taste test their product at the end of the tour and most offered their version of Bourbon Balls. I really became a fan of these sugary treats!!
You may also like my Martha Washington Candy