This is an authentic Kentucky Bourbon Balls recipe. They are rich, smooth, decadent, and delicious! It’s a Southern delicacy of a sweet boozy confection of sugar, pecans, and bourbon.
The smooth, earthy flavor of bourbon pairs perfectly with the luxurious chocolate, creating a decadent treat.
A bourbon ball is a Southern delicacy, invented by Ruth Hanly Booe of Rebecca Ruth Candy in 1938. Bourbon balls are bite-sized confections incorporating bourbon and dark chocolate as an ingredient.
We recently took a trip to Kentucky and did the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. I wasn’t a fan of bourbon until this trip. After learning the process and testing all the different bourbon formulas, I quickly became a fan. Although I prefer Woodford Reserve and Maker’s Mark over the others, every tour offered a unique and interesting experience.
Can eating bourbon balls make you drunk?
While these boozy truffles certainly contain enough alcohol to taste that it’s there, the likelihood of getting drunk off of them is very minimal. Only 3 tablespoons of bourbon is used, which is then dispersed among other ingredients and then divided into 36 different candies.
Shop this post
Bourbon truffles are the perfect way to tantalize your taste buds with a burst of sweet and indulgent flavors. With the right ingredients and a little bit of time, you can make quality truffles worthy to be served in a five-star restaurant.
If you are looking for a special way to reward yourself or your friends and family, give bourbon truffles a try. After all, what better way to kick off a night of celebration than with a mouth-watering sweet treat!
Every tour allowed you to taste test their product at the end of the tour and most offered their version of Bourbon Balls. I really became a fan of these sugary treats!!
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 3 Tablespoons Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar sift and measure carefully
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate Wilton candy melts work best for this
- Optional toppings – pecan halves chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds, cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar, sea salt
- Mix pecans and bourbon in a bowl and allow to soak for an hour.
- Cream (or mix) butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until smooth
- Then add pecans and bourbon to the butter and sugar mixer.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Using a fork to hold the bourbon ball, dip each ball in chocolate covering completely. Hold ball over chocolate a few seconds to allow excess to drip off. Place back on waxed paper to cool completely. *If you choose to top with a pecan half, nuts, or salt immediately press on top of the ball before chocolate cools and hardens.