Mint Julep Recipe – A classic ingredient mint julep cocktail made with bourbon, crushed mint, ice, and water and served in a silver julep cup. It’s the traditional drink at Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Derby.
This beverage is a southern tradition that’s strong, sweet, and elegant.
WHAT IS A MINT JULEP?
A Mint Julep is a mixed alcoholic drink consisting of bourbon, sugar, water, ice, and fresh mint. As a bourbon-based cocktail, it is associated with the American South and particularly the Kentucky Derby.
We should all experience a Mint Julep at Churchill Downs during the Kentucky Derby.
Mint Juleps are very similar to mojitos. Mint Juleps have bourbon whereas mojitos contain rum.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR A MINT JULEP RECIPE
- Fresh mint
- Woodford Reserve bourbon
- Simple syrup
- Toni water
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
Simple syrup is just that, it’s a syrup made with water and sugar. Simple syrups are great when you want to sweeten drinks that are cold. Hot drinks or liquids will melt sugar however cold drinks will not. This is your solution.
Your ratio is 1:1 for a simple syrup. I used one cup of water and one cup of granulated sugar.
In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. It will last for a month.
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED
- Muddler for cocktails
- Mint Julep cup – Classic style (set of 4 because who wants to have juleps alone?)
- Jigger (but you should just buy a bar set because more than likely you’ll need items at some point.)
- Kentucky Derby napkins or another cocktail napkin😉 (but you can enjoy this libation anytime, not just during the Kentucky Derby!)
- Classic Mojito
- Spiked Pineapple Lemonade
- Gin Spiked Cucumber Lemonade
- Sunset Margarita
- 9 Margaritas to Make Now
- Pickle Martini
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 4 mint sprigs fresh (plus more for garnish)
- 2 and ½ ounces bourbon Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce tonic water
- Crushed ice
- julep cup
- Add mint and a little ice to your glass. Muddle the mint.
- Add ice to fill the cup. Add bourbon and simple syrup. Stir.
- Add tonic, stir, garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve.