One bite of the Kentucky Hot Brown and it’ll become your favorite as well.
Loaded with flavors, this sandwich has turkey, cheese, and bacon on crusty bread. It’s a Kentucky Derby classic. My version of the famous Hot Brown sandwich is sure to please your taste buds.
Kentucky Hot Brown
This legendary dish is the perfect home for leftover chicken or turkey. A Louisville classic, originally created at the Brown Hotel. This open-face, hot sandwich, the open-face sandwich is a winning combination of turkey, ham, salty bacon, creamy sauce, and cheddar cheese. Top it with a slice of tomato (I was out.) to lighten the palette.
It’s the Béchamel Sauce that makes this sandwich! This cheesy, melty Hot Brown is the sandwich of my dreams. I love this recipe. Basically, I love anything with a white sauce.
I make this in individually sized cast iron skillets because I have the skillets, they’re cute, and I look for any reason to use them.
Ok, they are cute but I really use them because I like individual servings so I don’t have to share!
I’m selfish like that.
My sweet hubby would share anything. He shares his last bite of chocolate cake. You know the piece with all the fudgy icing on it?!
There are some things I share.
Steak? You can have.
Fried chicken? Here. Go enjoy!
I just cannot share a dessert or an ooey, gooey, cheesy pasta, or anything with a white sauce!
Can’t do it. No apologies…..
This is what you’ll need:
French bread loaf, ham, turkey, bacon, cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese), butter, flour, milk, salt, and pepper.
This sandwich would be perfect to serve at your Kentucky Derby party
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
- Delish Kentucky Hot Brown Burger
- Kentucky Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
- 10 Burgers You Need to Make Now
Kentucky Hot Brown
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 12 slices French bread
- 6 slices ham
- 6 slices chicken or turkey
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour self-rising or all-purpose
- 1 cup milk
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 to 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Toast the bread slices on both sides. Cook bacon and drain.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Whisk in 2 Tablespoons flour. Cook for a couple of minutes. Do not let it brown. Add salt and pepper and stir. Whisk in 1 cup milk and whisk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce and simmer until thick. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- On an oven-safe serving platter or plate lay 2 slices of bread. Top with the ham and chicken (or turkey). Spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken. Spread shredded cheese over the sauce.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 375°F or until warmed through and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with a slice of bacon cut in half. (Optional: Top with a slice of tomato if desired.) Serve immediately.