Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole is a low-fuss recipe that simple, delicious and filling.
This cheesy hashbrown casserole is a tasty main dish or side addition to your family brunch or large gathering! It’s a crowd-pleasing classic that everyone needs in their recipe arsenal.
This is a good recipe to make ahead and refrigerate until ready to bake. It’s great for overnight guests, busy morning, and entertaining.
My kids gobbled it up. Now, it’s on rotation not only for breakfast but dinner as well.
How to Make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
First, you will layer the hash browns, sausage, peppers, onions, seasonings, and cheese in your oven-safe dish. Next, you will pour the beaten eggs over all the layered ingredients. Finally, you’ll bake the casserole to a nice golden brown.
Most noteworthy, this casserole does not have a can of cream of chicken (or mushroom, or anything) soup! Yay!
Recipe Notes and Ingredient Substitutions
- You can use shredded Hash Brown potatoes for this recipe or diced hashbrowns.
- I used sausage, but bacon or ham would be equally good in this recipe. If you don’t care for cheese, you can make my recipe for this sausage hashbrown casserole instead.
- You may want to turn this into a dinner casserole meal by using ground beef. Now, that would be good!
- I baked my casserole in a 10-inch pie pan. You can bake it in a round pan, square pan, or oblong pan. As long as your hashbrowns are approximately 1 and 1/2 inch thick, your cook time will be the same. The center be ‘set’ not jiggly and the cheese to be melted when done.
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 4 cups hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup sausage links cooked
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Creole seasoning or ground cayenne or red pepper
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 and ½ cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan or 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish.
- Layer with sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, and Creole seasoning together.
- Pour egg mixture over potatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, if needed.
- Or, cook now at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- If baking after casserole has been refrigerated, cook an extra 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions, tomato, and sour cream and serve.
Marilyn Tolan says
Fresh shredded potatoes,uncooked?
If you’re asking if you can use freshly shredded potatoes, that should work fine. Thank you
Mary // chattavore says
Yum! This looks delicious, Paula!