Why am I showing you a shoe rack?
Big Daddy had a project!
I have neglected to photograph other projects he’s done since I started blogging.
It just didn’t occur to me until after he put in the water fountain in the backyard, and
after he did the coat/backpack rack (shown below).
I’m a quick thinker like that!
But, this time, yes, this time I grabbed my camera before he finished the statement,
“I’m thinking about making…..”
In his own words….take it away Big Daddy!
6″ scrap pine, bead board
I picked through and found undamaged boards
I started with and old machine shipping box that we picked out of an old warehouse near our home.
It was from a machine manufacturing company in Chicago.
The scrap boards were scrap pieces from a friends’ building project.
The box was exactly 12″ wide (inside to inside),
I cut the bead board length to fit in the box tight from side to side.
I used dishing washing detergant and a brush to clean the grime off the box.
This is the coat rack/backpack project mentioned earlier.
It is another reclaimed project using the 6″ scrap bead board and old door knobs.
It provides a place for coats and backpacks to “hang around” Ha Ha.
I had great help from the boys and Summer.
I wish this was in video so you could hear them grumble, complain, and argue with each other
every step of the way!
Lincoln wiping the dust and grime out.
And, Ryder did not want to miss out on the photo opp so he did a little ‘cleaning’.
I pre-fit the cut shelves before nailing them to the sides of the box.
The bead board pieces fit together perfectly to make a rigid shelf.
I really needed a miter saw, but had to get by with a circular saw.
I used a hand held saw to clean up my cut.
All weekend DIYers must have a set of plans, right?
Well, here are mine, on the back of a envelope, that I sketch out during breakfast.
I concluded from shoe racks at the home store, that you need about six inches for each pair of shoes.
I divided the length of my box by six and determied I could get 7 shelves in my box.
The boys were great helping me stain the shelves before permanently attaching insided the box.
I used a walnut stain with poly-urethane already mixed in.
I found it closely matched the existing patina of the wood box.
I used a numatic nailer with smaill nails to attach the shelves at 6″ intervals.
Oh yea, it is really coming together, this is exactly what I envisioned over breakfast.
Yahoo, organized shoes!
Now if we can just get the boys to put their shoes in here!.