Green Chile Bacon Cornbread is flavorful and moist making it the perfect accompaniment for any soup.
It’s full of bacon, cheese, and green chiles giving it a blast of flavor! Each bite will have you reaching back for another nibble.
Green Chile Bacon Cornbread
I know what you think. You think because I’m a food blogger and recipe developer that I eat great food all the time. I do and I don’t. The truth is I get tired of cooking and I never cook just for myself. I eat a granola bar or cereal if I don’t have leftovers. That doesn’t mean I don’t want good food, I just don’t want to make it for just me.
You may remember recently I posted a recipe with a Campbell’s® Soup Company product, Swanson’s chicken broth. I used the broth in my Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup. I love the broth as well as all
The recipe makes a big skillet of cornbread. It’s hearty, spicy, and satisfying. It pairs perfectly with my quick soup.
Green Chile Bacon Cornbread
- As I said, this makes a lot, you may want to half the recipe and cook it in a 6-inch skillet instead.
- You can make your Green Chile Bacon Cornbread from scratch like I have listed below or you can use a cornbread mix and simply add the onion, cheese, bacon and green chiles into the mix.
- I like to add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to my cornbread. It lightens the texture just a little.
- You can use yellow or white cornmeal, whichever you prefer.
- I can’t fathom cooking cornbread in anything except a cast-iron skillet. It’s the Southerner in me. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, cook your cornbread in a casserole dish or cake pan. You may need to adjust the cook time slightly, just watch the bread closely.
- I like to preheat the skillet. When the skillet it hot, I then add the oil. Place the skillet back in the oven for a minute for the fat to get hot. When the fat is hot, add your cornbread batter. This helps to brown the crust and cooks the cornbread more quickly.
Green Chile Bacon Cornbread has just the right about of bacon, chiles, and cheese. It's a great side with any meal.
- 3 pieces bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup onion diced and sauteed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 and 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles drain
- Preheat oven to 435 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to 12 inch cast iron skillet and saute onion. Remove from pan with slotted spoon. Then place skillet in oven to preheat.
- In a bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, 2 tablespoons oil, onion, garlic, cheese and green chile.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into hot skillet.
- Bake at 425 degrees F 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through and browned on top.
- Serve hot.