Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup recipes is a one pot meal that’s full of those authentic Mexican flavors you love.
This soup is bursting with fresh and healthy flavors and easily cooked in the slow cooker.
Growing up the slow cooker was reserved mostly for roast. In fact, I don’t recall my mom using it to cook anything else.
As a wife and mother, I’ve come to love my slow cooker for making healthy and delicious meals in a jiffy. So many recipes with a slow cooker you simply layer the ingredients in the crock, turn it on and walk away.
That’s the deal with Chicken Tortilla Soup. Turn it on and walk away…
Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup Tips
- I used Swanson® Broth instead of water in this recipe. It really makes the soup richer with more depth of flavor. Campbell’s makes new and innovative products like Swanson® Broth that makes mealtime easier for busy families.
- I used a spicy tomato cocktail juice, but you can use regular or even plain tomato juice if you prefer.
- You may substitute 2 cups fresh or frozen corn for the canned corn. Likewise, you can substitute 2 cups cooked black beans for the canned black beans.
You’ll find other uses for Swanson® Broth besides the typical soups and stews. Swanson® Broth increases the flavor in grains like rice, risotto, couscous and polenta. Sauces dress up everyday dishes and Swanson® Broth makes these better. Try it in roux, alfredo, marinara, and curry.
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 4- ounce green chilies
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14.5 ounce can tomatoes
- 20- ounce Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1 and 1/2 cup spicy vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 15- ounce can corn
- 15- ounce can black beans
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 flour tortillas cut into strips
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray.
Cut chicken into 2-inch chunks and add to the slow cooker.
Combine onion, green chilies, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, vegetable juice cocktail, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Stir to combine. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
Drain corn and black beans and add to slow cooker. Cook on low for one hour.
Cut flour tortillas on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven 10 minutes until browned and crisp.
Serve soup hot with tortillas, cheese, yogurt or sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.