How to Make a quick and easy DIY Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe to add to all of your favorite meats and more! It’s great on steak, but also delicious on chicken, pork, seafood, and vegetables.
I’m a firm believer in varying seasoning and sauces. You can change a recipe completely by changing these seasoning and sauce.
As well, making homemade seasoning is more economical than buying them already made. And, it’s a great way to control the salt. Premade seasonings tend to be heavy in salt.
Blackened seasoning if spicy. It’s good on shrimp, seafood, steak, and burgers. It’s even good on fries!
How to Blacken Meats
Getting an intense ‘brown’ on meat greatly improves the flavor. However, there’s a fine line between blackening and burning. Don’t cross it, there is no coming back from burning.
You can blacken just about anything from meats to vegetables. My favorite food to blacken is fish, shrimp, and scallops.
The method is the same to blacken any meat.
- Your meat will need to be thin, about 1/2 inch thick, and cut uniformly.
- Heat your skillet or grill to a high temperature. I prefer to blacken on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. A cast iron skillet can take the heat where other pans may not.
- Melt enough butter to cover the entire piece of meat on both sides.
- Rub the meat all over with Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- Place the meat in the preheated skillet. Be prepared for sizzle and a lot of smoke.
- Cook the meat over a very hot heat until its dark on both sides, time depends on how thick your meat is. Beef and pork will take about minutes per side, but shrimp, scallops, and some fish will take less time. The process should be hot and fast.
Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, basil, and oregano in a bowl until evenly mixed.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
As a busy mom, Paula saw the need to simplify cooking and meal prep without sacrificing flavor. She provides simple recipes and time-saving strategies for delicious and nutritious meals for your family. Please share CallMePMc.com with your friends.
This post contains an affiliate link. If you click the link and make a purchase I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.