Lemon Icebox Cake was inspired by the classic pie. This silky, refrigerated cake has the popular filling made with lemon juice and sweet condensed milk. It’s the perfect marriage of tangy, tart lemon filling and buttery cake and crowned with fluffy whipped cream.
I grew up in a household where my parents didn’t like chocolate. I know right? It is hard to believe. Therefore, I’m not a huge fan of chocolate. Even now, I’d rather have almost any dessert flavor instead of a chocolate dessert. The exception to that would be brownies and this chocolate cake. I mean, brownies pretty much make the world go round, right?!
My mother’s favorite desserts are anything with blueberries and my dad’s favorite treats are lemon desserts, especially Lemon Icebox Pie. My mom always did her Lemon Icebox Pie with a vanilla wafer crust instead of the traditional graham cracker crust. It was so good!
As a result of that family favorite, I developed this Lemon Icebox Cake that has a white cake as the base, topped with that same luscious lemon filling and whipped cream as an icing.
This dessert recipe is easy to make, tasty, and great for potluck parties especially during the hot weather months!
Additionally, it’s better when made 1 or 2 days before serving. The flavors melt together and the cake becomes moist from the filling. For this reason, it’s a great dessert for entertaining.
Lemon Icebox Cake
- You can make a scratch-made cake instead of using the cake mix if you prefer. Proceed with the filling and topping as directed in the recipe instructions.
- The citric acid in the lemon juice reacts with the sweetened condensed milk and thickens it without cooking. After whisking about 30 seconds, you’ll see the mixture begin to thicken. After refrigerating, it will thicken even more and will hold up the whipped topping.
You may also enjoy these lemon desserts
Lemon Icebox Cake was inspired by the classic pie, this silky, refrigerated cake has the popular filling made with lemon juice and sweet condensed milk. It's the perfect marriage of tangy, tart lemon filling and buttery cake and crowned with fluffy whipped cream.
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix
- 1 small box lemon instant pudding mix
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggsFor the Lemon Icebox Filling
- 2- 14- ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juiceFor the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl beat together the cake mix, instant pudding, water, oil, and eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 27 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before topping with Lemon Icebox filling.For the Lemon Icebox Filling
- In a bowl combine sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice.
- Whisk or mix with an electric mixer until mixture thickens. This will take 60 to 90 seconds.
- Pour over cooled lemon cake and refrigerate until filling sets about 15 minutes.For the Whipped Cream
- Place mixer bowl and whisk in the freezer for 20 minutes to chill.
- Pour heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla into the bowl and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. This will take about 1 minute.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.