Easy Lemon Lava Cake is silky and luscious. This cake recipe is simple and easy to make!
Made with cake mix and lemon pudding, this cake comes out of the oven with a self-made lemon sauce. It’s best served warm with vanilla ice cream.
When hot, the lemon sauce flows like lava out of this Easy Lemon Lava Cake, thus its’ name. You may have seen chocolate lava or red velvet lava cakes before. I didn’t want to discriminate and tried the same cooking method with lemon. It worked like a charm.
Easy Lemon Lava Cake is luscious with a velvety mouthfeel. There’s no tartness usually associated with lemon foods. It’s sweet and sensational. It’s sure to satisfy the taste buds of the lemon lover in your life!
Easy Lemon Lava Cake Tips
- First, this cake starts with a cake mix. I’m sure if you have a basic lemon cake recipe, you can use that if you’re opposed to using a mix. At times, I like a semi-homemade, time-saving cake and I start it with a cake mix.
- Next, I use the 15.25-ounce yellow or white cake mix.
- This cake uses instant pudding. If you are opposed to using instant pudding mix, I don’t know a substitution for that. If you are unable to find instant pudding in your area, try Amazon. This is the instant pudding I use in lemon flavor.
- As well, I prefer to serve this cake warm with homemade whipped cream or a good quality vanilla ice cream.
- To make Whipped Cream, place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a large bowl. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Store any unused portion in an airtight container for up to 10 hours.
Easy Lemon Lava Cake
- 15.25 ounce package yellow or white cake mix
- eggs, oil, and water amounts called for on back of package (amounts vary by brand that's why I'm not listing them here.)
- (2) -3.4 ounce packages instant pudding, lemon flavored
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 and 1/4 cup water
- *optional - confectioners sugar for dusting whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, fresh raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Prepare cake as directed on back of package.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- Add dry pudding mix, granulated sugar, milk and water in a bowl.
- Whisk by hand 2 minutes.
- Evenly pour lemon pudding mix over cake batter. Do not stir.
- Place cake pan on a larger baking pan with at least a 1-inch edge in case the cake bubbles over.
- Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour or until cake is brown on top and wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes before serving.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and/or fresh raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Finally, if you like Easy Lemon Lava Cake, you may also like these recipes
Linking up to Weekend Potluck