Lime & Coconut Icebox Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream recipe combines the ever popular Icebox Pie with a layer cake. This dessert is cool and refreshing. Spiked with tropical flavors of citrus and coconut this makes a tasty hot weather dessert.
I made this white cake from scratch. If you prefer, you can just as easily use a white cake mix. It will still be delicious.
Lime & Coconut Icebox Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut water, unsweetened
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- juice of one lime (about 1 T)
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon lime zest
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- For cake:
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed until fluffy; add sugar and cream until fluffy.
- Combine coconut water and milk. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter mixture alternately with milk mixture. Begin and end with flour mixture. Add lime zest and juice.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold in to batter.
- Pour batter into a 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Lime Filling:
- Whisk 3/4 c milk and 1/4 c cornstarch in a 3 quart heavy saucepan, whisking until cornstarch dissolves. Add sweetened condensed milk and eggs until blended. Whisk in lime juice.
- Boil 1 minute, whisking constantly or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter and lime zest. Pour filling into a bowl and place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice. Stir until cold about 10 minutes.
- Cut cake horizontally into 2 equal parts. Spread lime filling on bottom layer. Replace top. Spread Whipped Topping over entire cake and sprinkle coconut over topping.
- For Whipped Topping:
- In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Stop. Do not over-beat, cream will become lumpy and butter-like. Sprinkle 1/4 c flaked coconut on top.