Lime & Coconut Icebox Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream recipe combines the ever-popular Icebox Pie with a layer cake. This dessert is cool and refreshing. Spiked with tropical flavors of citrus and coconut this makes a tasty hot weather dessert.
I’m really pleased with how this came out. It’s a great alternative to Key Lime Pie for the summer.
Lime & Coconut Icebox Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream
I made this white cake from scratch. If you prefer, you can just as easily use a white cake mix. It will still be delicious.
Frost with an offset spatula. This makes it really easy to get an even layer.
How to make this cake
First, you will make the cake layers. Always have your butter, milk, and eggs at room temperature before you begin mixing the ingredients together. This will make for a fluffier cake.
While the cake is baking you can make the lime filling. This process is similar to make lemon or lime curd.
Next, make the frosting. Use caution and don’t overbeat.
Wait until the cake is completely cool before frosting. For a more professional cake, remove the domes from the tops of the cake layers with a cake leveler or large serrated knife. Using an offset spatula makes it really easy to get an even layer of frosting.
Lime & Coconut Icebox Cake
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon lime zest
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed until fluffy; add sugar and cream until fluffy.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold in to batter.
- Pour batter into a 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Whisk 3/4 c milk and 1/4 c cornstarch in a 3 quart heavy saucepan, whisking until cornstarch dissolves. Add sweetened condensed milk and eggs until blended. Whisk in lime juice.
- Cut cake horizontally into 2 equal parts. Spread lime filling on bottom layer. Replace top. Spread Whipped Topping over entire cake and sprinkle coconut over topping.