Mojito Grilled Chicken Tacos recipe with Strawberry Avocado Salsa is light and refreshing. A simple and easy marinade gives this Mojito Grilled Chicken an incredible flavor! Bright strawberry and creamy avocado make a unique texture and flavor combination and the perfect way to top your Mojito Grilled Chicken Tacos!
Enjoy the chicken solo, it’s perfect grilled, topped with traditional or strawberry salsa, or in a taco or burrito bowl!
Additionally enjoy the sweet and tangy salsa with cinnamon chips or piled high on lettuce leaves.
My favorite cocktail is the Mojito. The original Mojito is muddled mint, simple syrup, and white rum. I have made several variations of the cocktail: Watermelon Mojito, Grapefruit Champagne Mojito, Strawberry Mojito, and more.
I was out of marinade ideas for chicken and thought I’d try this flavor profile since my mint is growing out of the pot right now. It’s a good problem to have when you love Mojitos as I do!
For my Mojito Grilled Chicken Tacos recipe with Strawberry Avocado Salsa, I used mint, lime, and rum and added canola oil to keep the chicken moist. I omitted sugar that’s typically in mojitos in my marinade since sugar will make the chicken stick and possible burn. Besides, I really didn’t want sweet chicken either.
Mojito Grilled Chicken Tacos recipe
- If you’re concerned about marinating with alcohol, it will burn off during the cooking process and leave just the essence.
- If you’re opposed to using alcohol in recipes, you can use equal parts pineapple juice for the rum plus 1/2 teaspoon rum extract. Or, simply use pineapple juice if you do not have or want to purchase rum extract. Substituting pineapple juice for the rum will not result in identical flavors, because, hello, it’s not the same, but it will be good.
- You can grill or pan fry the chicken.
- I do not recommend making the Strawberry Avocado Salsa in advance. Some recipes are better to make early and allow to sit. This one is not one of those recipes. The strawberries break down and get mushy. The avocados turn brown and mushy. Make this salsa as close to time to eat as you can.
- I recommend marinating chicken for one hour, but not more than two hours.
- Get the recipe for Strawberry Avocado Salsa here. (pictured below)
Mojito Grilled Chicken Tacos recipe
- 4 medium chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup fresh mint I use stems and leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- juice and zest of 1 lime about 2 tablespoon juice and 1 teaspoon zest, more is okay
- 1- ounce white rum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 to 10 6-inch tortillas flour or corn
- spring mix lettuce or your favorite lettuce
- sour cream
- Strawberry Avocado Salsa see link in post for recipe
- one squeeze of lime juice on each taco
- one squeeze of Sriracha sauce on each taco
- Combine mint, salt, pepper, lime juice, lime zest, rum, and olive oil in a zip top bag.
- Muddle or crush to release mint oil and flavor.
- Add chicken and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken breast on the grill. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on the first side before turning.
- Turn and cook another 3 to 4 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove chicken from grill and allow to rest 4 to 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice chicken and place 3 to 4 pieces in the tortilla.
- Top with lettuce, strawberry avocado salsa and other toppings of your choice.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep time is less than 10 minutes, however, allow time for the chicken to marinate. I suggest one hour, but not more than 2 hours.
You may also like