Pumpkin French Toast Casserole recipe tastes like a combination of French toast, pumpkin pie, and coffee cake. This is the perfect fall breakfast or brunch. Great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or weekend mornings.
Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
Does it seem odd to have pumpkin recipes in December? It doesn’t to me since pumpkins are still in season. Well, pumpkin in the can is in season all year, right? 😃 Anywho, if you’re not still into pumpkin recipes, bookmark this recipe and make it next fall.
I found it to be a great brunch casserole. It can be prepared the night before for a quick and delicious breakfast!
As well, this pumpkin french toast casserole can also be made into individual servings.
What kind of bread is best for French toast and bread pudding?
Bread pudding is also good with almost any bread French, sourdough, brioche, challah, ciabatta, bagels, or even doughnuts. Typically, I purchase bread from the sale rack at the store. There is almost always French bread or sourdough available.
But, what if I don’t have old bread?
- Here’s a tip if you decide to make this casserole last minute and don’t have dry, stale bread. First of all, you want dry bread so that it soaks up the custard. Even when I have old bread, I often use this method to toast the bread and dry it out even more.
- Cut fresh bread into 1 to 2-inch cubes.
- Place the cubes on a sheet pan in a single layer and bake in a 350ºF oven for roughly 10 minutes. You want the bread to begin to brown and feel crispy.
- Test to see how dry they are and return if necessary.
- Next, allow it to cool for a few minutes then proceed with the recipe! This will dry the bread so that it can absorb the wonderful custard.
- The bread cubes should be dry throughout but not necessarily like croutons.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
How do I prepare Pumpkin French Toast Casserole the night before?
To prepare the night before you want the casserole for breakfast, simply prepare it through step 3 below. That is, you’ll cube the bread, make the custard, and pour the custard over the bread. Stop. At this point, cover the casserole tightly and refrigerate it.
The next morning while your oven is preheating, make the streusel and sprinkle it over the casserole. Bake according to the instructions below. Since it’s baking from a cold state, it may take 10 minutes longer. I find how brown you want the top to be is a personal preference. Therefore, bake it until the top is as brown and crusty as you want.
Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- Slowly pour the batter over the bread pieces in the baking dish. Be sure to cover all the bread pieces. Press the bread down into the egg mixture slightly.
- Mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and salt together. Add butter and mix to combine. Add flour and mix, you'll probably have to mix this with your hands to get it fully combined. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers. It will be good 3 days in the fridge.