Slow Cooker Chicken is the secret to moist, flavorful and delicious chicken! A simple spice mix is layered between the skin and chicken allowing for maximum flavor cooked into the chicken.
I use my slow cooker year-around. In the winter I like to make soups and beef roasts in them. They’re warm and comforting. During the summer, I cook in it so I don’t heat up an already hot house by turning on the stove or oven. Plus, we’re crazy busy during the summer and the slow cooker is a great ‘hands-off’ way to enjoy a home-cooked meal.
If ever I needed a ‘hands-off’ week of cooking this was it! We just got back from vacation, my dad was in the hospital and my husband had surgery!
Calgon take me away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus I have these crazy personal goals that I set and get really mad at myself if I don’t reach them.
Thank you Type A personality!
I bet my husband wishes I had a goal of cleaning the house!
Slow Cooker Chicken
Back to my recipe! I started by making a paste with Better than Bouillon chicken base, store-bought pesto, and a seasoning blend. Rub this between the skin and the meat. Just place the whole chicken in a slow cooker and cook. Depending on the size of your chicken, it can take from four hours to eight hours to cook. I cooked my two-pound whole chicken for 5 hours on low. The chicken was literally falling apart! It was very tender, flavorful and juicy. I did not cook the vegetables in the pictures with the chicken in the slow cooker. Instead, I roasted them in the oven to bring out the natural sweetness in them. Read more about roasting vegetables.
Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon I used Better Than Bouillon reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 2 teaspoon McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning
- 2 - 2.5 pound whole chicken insides removed
- Make a past with the bouillon, pesto and seasoning. Spread it between the skin and the breast meat of the chicken.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 4 to 5 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. I cooked a small 2 pound chicken.
- *For a 4 pound chicken, cook on low 7 to 8 hours or low 5 to 6 hours.