Comfort food at it’s best! My Bacon Broccoli Cheese Buttermilk Cornbread is a must-try recipe!
Some times you just need good old, stick to your ribs comfort food. Bacon Broccoli Cheese Buttermilk Cornbread is just one of those foods. All things comforting from the bread to the cheese to the bacon.
Big Daddy said, this would have been good if not for the broccoli (haha), but he went on to say, “I was just going to take one bite, but I just couldn’t quit eating it.”
I didn’t tell him I did the same thing with the piece I cut (above) to photograph! I don’t know if it was the crispy, buttery edges of the soft, cheesy inner piece that I loved the most. I couldn’t stop eating it regardless.
Bacon Broccoli Cheese Buttermilk Cornbread
I took my basic cornbread recipe and mixed add-ins of bacon, broccoli and shredded cheddar cheese. I think ham would also be tasty in this recipe. Then, as with most recipes, substitute your favorite cheese. I usually use whatever I have on hand, it’s just that I almost always have cheddar cheese.
Also to note, I used fresh broccoli and I steamed until tender crisp. I’m sure frozen, cooked broccoli would work but I have not tested it with frozen. Either way, make sure you drain the cooked broccoli good before adding into your batter.
I always make my cornbread in a cast iron skillet. Like, can you even make it in anything else? It’s the Southern girl in me. Seriously, I have 13 cast iron skillets and I reach for them first before my big name, expensive cookware. And you know that thing about not using soap on them? Yeah, I use soap. If they’re seasoned well, you can. Some of my skillets are 50+ years old, they can withstand a little soap. 😉
Comforting cornbread is spiked with broccoli, cheese, and bacon. This is a great recipe to snack on by itself or serve with dinner.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup broccoli chopped cooked and cooled
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese grated
- 3 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoon vegetable oil to a 8 or 9 inch skillet and preheat.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk.
- Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in broccoli, cheese and bacon.
- Pour into hot skillet. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until browned top.
- Invert on a platter and serve immediately.
Makes one 8-inch skillet
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for my latest cravings!
I love your input on recipes, let me know in the comments if you try my Bacon Broccoli Cheese Buttermilk Cornbread