Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread spicy, full of flavor and hearty enough for a meal in itself. This is a new and improved classic Southern cornbread!
I made my Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread for the Martha White/Lodge National Cornbread Cook-Off that takes place every as part of the National Cornbread Festival. There’s more information on the cook-off with all the recipes of our virtual potluck at the end of the post. Don’t miss it!
Full of beef chorizo sausage, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and sweet corn, Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread is a meal in itself. Serve with a salad for a quick dinner or serve it as a side as usual.
I’ve had a love affair with chorizo sausage lately. It’s spicy and compliments so many recipes perfectly. I added it to meatloaf and to burgers and cheese dip. Guess what? It kicks up the flavor factor in every single one of those recipes.
I tested this recipe a few times before perfecting it. I tried it with jalapenos and realized it’s way to hot with jalapenos and chorizo sausage. If you like really hot food, you may want to add one diced jalapeno. For most everyone, I believe this will be hotter than you like.
I also layered the cornbread. I added half of the cornbread batter, then added the chorizo and onion and topped it with the remaining cornbread batter. If you choose, and it’s easier, just mix it all together and add it to the pan. It will taste the same, it’ll cook the same, and it’s easier. Which I’m usually all about, I don’t really know why I decided to layer the ingredients.
What is chorizo sausage?
It’s a sausage originating from Spain and Latin America. Chorizo heavily seasoned with traditional Mexican spices. Specifically, paprika, which gives it the red color. In Spain, it’s typically a chopped and cured pork sausage and therefore you can eat it uncooked. You may see it on a meat tray or tapas presentation. Mexican chorizo is made of ground meat and is uncooked and therefore must be cooked before eating. For this Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread, I chose a Mexican (uncooked) beef chorizo sausage. I cooked it first, then added it to the cornbread batter.
Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread takes a Southern classic and amps up the flavor factor. The addition of spicy beef chorizo sausage, gooey cheddar cheese, and caramelized onions makes this cornbread unforgettable.
*You don't have to layer the ingredients. You can mixture the cornbread with the meat and onions and bake.
- 6 ounces beef chorizo sausage
- 2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cups self rising corn meal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 15.25 ounce can whole kernel corn drained
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 10 inch skillet, cook chorizo until done, about 8 minutes on medium heat. Remove to a tray and drain.
- Cook onion in the same pan 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat or until translucent and soft. Remove and drain.
- Meanwhile, mix corn meal, buttermilk, corn and eggs. Stir until smooth.
- Add vegetable oil to skillet (if needed, you may have enough fat in skillet from the chorizo)
- *Pour half the cornbread mixture into skillet, top with the cooked chorizo, onions and cheese. Spoon the remaining half cornbread batter onto chorizo, onions and cheese and spread gently.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
As a busy mom, Paula saw the need to simplify cooking and meal prep without sacrificing flavor. She provides simple recipes and time-saving strategies for delicious and nutritious meals for your family. Please share CallMePMc.com with your friends.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
As part of the Martha White/Lodge National Cornbread Cook-Off that takes place every as part of the National Cornbread Festival. I’m participating in Martha White Virtual Cornbread Potluck 2015: All-Star Edition with some other amazing bloggers! We’ve all created amazing cornbread recipes for this event and I’m happy to be sharing them with you!
- Brandie from The Country Cook – Cornbread Waffles with Chili & Fixins’
- Christin from Spicy Southern Kitchen – Mexican Chicken Cornbread Casserole
- Christy from Southern Plate – Cornbread Pan Sandwiches
- Jenny from Picky Palate – Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges
- Linda from Southern Pantry – BLT Cornbread Salad
- Melissa from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen – Kickin’ Crab Corn Muffins
- Paula from Call Me PMC – Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread
- Stacey from Southern Bite – Mom’s Mexican Cornbread
- Stephanie from Plain Chicken – Taco Cornbread Muffins
- Tina from Mommy’s Kitchen – Mom’s Meaty Cornbread Skillet
If you like my Cheesy Chorizo Cornbread, you may also like