Mexican Meatloaf recipe is a tasty twist on a classic. This hearty meatloaf recipe uses spicy flavors of cumin, cilantro, green chiles, and chorizo.
This Mexican Meatloaf recipe comes together quickly and easily for weeknight dinners.
And so it goes.
I wasn’t even a fan of meatloaf before meeting my husband and I didn’t eat my mother’s meatloaf growing up. However, I tried Wesley’s homemade meatloaf way back when we first got married. It smelled so good cooking and we were poor and it was either that or nothing. Maybe we had a brown banana on the counter, but we sure didn’t have filets in the fridge. To my surprise, it was delicious and didn’t taste at all like what I remember eating at 10 years old for Sunday dinner.
Enter Mexican meatloaf.
We seriously eat Mexican twice a week, more if it were up to my boys. A Mexican Meatloaf recipe was a natural progression of my traditional meatloaf since I’ve slowly been adding Mexican flavors to beef and chicken for a while now. It’s a spicy spin that your family will love too.
Mexican Meatloaf recipe tips
I used beef chorizo sausage mixed with lean ground beef. Chorizo tends to have a high-fat content so I went with a 90% lean ground beef.
I also mixed half chorizo with half ground beef. I really liked that ratio for flavor. If you’re watching fat and calories, you may want to use less chorizo.
For additional flavors, moisture and texture, I added canned chopped tomatoes, green chiles, and diced onions. Then to round with the spices, I mixed in garlic, cumin, cilantro, enchilada sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
Yes, it’s full of flavor!
Mexican Meatloaf recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 and ½ pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 and ½ pound beef chorizo sausage
- 4 ounce green chiles undrained
- 8 ounce tomatoes diced, drained
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips finely crushed
- 1/4 cup onion
- 3 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cilantro dried
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Garnish: lettuce tomato, cilantro, salsa, cheese, sour cream, black olives
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef and chorizo until well combined.
- Combine until well blended.
- On a roasting rack, form meat mixture into a log.
- Bake 35 minutes until outside is browned.
- Combine sauce ingredients: enchilada sauce and brown sugar. Spread over meatloaf reserving 1/3 cup for dipping.
- Cook another 10 minutes with sauce on top.
- Garnish as desired.
- Be sure to read the post for details on ingredients and substitutions.
- Heat the reserved sauce in the microwave 30 to 40 seconds to dissolve the sugar and serve with meatloaf.
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
You may also like these recipes
I served Black Bean Salsa over a bed of Romaine lettuce with my Mexican Meatloaf Recipe.