Mexican Meatloaf recipe is a tasty twist on a classic. This hearty meatloaf recipe uses spicy flavors of cumin, cilantro, green chiles and chorizo.
This Mexican Meatloaf recipe comes together quickly and easily for weeknight dinners.
And so it goes.
I wasn’t even a fan of meatloaf before meeting my husband. I did not eat my mothers meatloaf growing up. I tried Wesley’s homemade meatloaf way back when we first got married. It smelled so good cooking and we were poor and it was either that or nothing. Maybe we had a brown banana on the counter, but we sure didn’t have filets in the fridge. To my surprise it was delicious and didn’t taste at all like what I remember eating at 10 years old for Sunday dinner.
Enter Mexican meatloaf.
We seriously eat Mexican twice a week, more if it were up to my boys. A Mexican Meatloaf recipe was a natural progression of my traditional meatloaf since I’ve slowly been adding Mexican flavors to beef and chicken for a while now. It’s a spicy spin that your family will love too.
Mexican Meatloaf recipe tips
I used beef chorizo sausage mixed with lean ground beef. Chorizo tends to have a high fat content so I went with a 90% lean ground beef.
I also mixed half chorizo with half ground beef. I really liked that ratio for flavor. If you’re watching fat and calories, you may want to use less chorizo.
For additional flavors, moisture and texture, I added canned chopped tomatoes, green chiles and diced onions. Then to round with the spices, I mixed in garlic, cumin, cilantro, enchilada sauce and worcestershire sauce.
Yes, it’s full of flavor!
Mexican Meatloaf recipe
- 1 and 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 and 1/2 pound beef chorizo sausage
- 4 ounce green chiles undrained
- 8 ounce diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup onion
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Sauce: 1/3 cup enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Garnish: lettuce tomato, cilantro, salsa, cheese, sour cream, black olives
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef and chorizo until well combined.
- Mix in green chiles, diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, cilantro, eggs, onion, salt, pepper, tortilla chips, enchilada sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Combine until well blended.
- On a roasting rack, form meat mixture into a log.
- Bake 35 minutes until outside is browned.
- Combine sauce ingredients: enchilada sauce and brown sugar. Spread over meatloaf reserving 1/3 cup for dipping.
- Cook another 10 minutes with sauce on top.
- Garnish as desired.
You may also like these recipes
I served Black Bean Salsa over a bed of Romaine lettuce with my Mexican Meatloaf Recipe.