Mexican Meatloaf recipe is a tasty twist on a classic. This hearty meatloaf recipe uses spicy flavors of cumin, cilantro, green chiles and chorizo.
This Mexican Meatloaf recipe comes together quickly and easily for weeknight dinners.
And so it goes.
I wasn’t even a fan of meatloaf before meeting my husband. I did not eat my mothers meatloaf growing up. I tried Wesley’s homemade meatloaf way back when we first got married. It smelled so good cooking and we were poor and it was either that or nothing. Maybe we had a brown banana on the counter, but we sure didn’t have filets in the fridge. To my surprise it was delicious and didn’t taste at all like what I remember eating at 10 years old for Sunday dinner.
Enter Mexican meatloaf.
We seriously eat Mexican twice a week, more if it were up to my boys. A Mexican Meatloaf recipe was a natural progression of my traditional meatloaf since I’ve slowly been adding Mexican flavors to beef and chicken for a while now. It’s a spicy spin that your family will love too.
Mexican Meatloaf recipe tips
I used beef chorizo sausage mixed with lean ground beef. Chorizo tends to have a high fat content so I went with a 90% lean ground beef.
I also mixed half chorizo with half ground beef. I really liked that ratio for flavor. If you’re watching fat and calories, you may want to use less chorizo.
For additional flavors, moisture and texture, I added canned chopped tomatoes, green chiles and diced onions. Then to round with the spices, I mixed in garlic, cumin, cilantro, enchilada sauce and worcestershire sauce.
Yes, it’s full of flavor!
- 1 and 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 and 1/2 pound beef chorizo sausage
- 4 ounce green chiles undrained
- 8 ounce diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup onion
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Sauce: 1/3 cup enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Garnish: lettuce tomato, cilantro, salsa, cheese, sour cream, black olives
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef and chorizo until well combined.
- Mix in green chiles, diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, cilantro, eggs, onion, salt, pepper, tortilla chips, enchilada sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Combine until well blended.
- On a roasting rack, form meat mixture into a log.
- Bake 35 minutes until outside is browned.
- Combine sauce ingredients: enchilada sauce and brown sugar. Spread over meatloaf reserving 1/3 cup for dipping.
- Cook another 10 minutes with sauce on top.
- Garnish as desired.
Be sure to read the post for details on ingredients and substitutions.Heat the reserved sauce in the microwave 30 to 40 seconds to dissolve the sugar and serve with meatloaf. Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
You may also like these recipes
I served Black Bean Salsa over a bed of Romaine lettuce with my Mexican Meatloaf Recipe.