Spicy. Hearty. Simple.
That’s how I describe this Buttermilk Sausage Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread.
You won’t believe how heavenly this sausage studded cornbread is.
You’ll experience love at first bite!
Move over plain Buttermilk Cornbread there’s a new Super Cornbread in town!
And cheesy…in a good way.
It’s….wait for it……..Buttermilk Sausage Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread!
Sometimes, I just call it Super Cornbread because, well, it is.
Before we get to this hearty Buttermilk Sausage Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread recipe, let’s talk. We just need to make one thing clear before we get any further with this recipe. I’m from the South and in the South cornbread is cooked in a cast-iron skillet. That’s the rule. That’s what my granny told me.
On to the Cornbread!
This cornbread is bursting with flavor. I like to serve it with a simple side salad. That’s it, that’s your complete meal. Easy peasy, simple and faster than driving for take-out!
- 1 lb pork sausage I like hot
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 c onion diced
- 1/3 c fresh jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 c cream style corn
- 1 c plain corn meal
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown sausage with onions and jalapenos. Remove from skillet and drain most of the fat out of the skillet.
- Place skillet in oven to preheat. I use a 12 inch cast iron skillet.
- In a bowl, mix buttermilk, corn, corn meal, eggs, oil, salt, soda and sausage mixture. Mix in half of the cheese.
- Pour into hot skillet, top with remaining cheese. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove to oven and allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before cutting to keep it from falling apart.
©CallMePMc.com All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
More recipes you may enjoy! Grilled Pork Chops Three Ways