Spicy and satisfying this Slow Cooker Gluten Free Pinto Bean Recipe is a new addition to my diet.
Spice them up with fresh jalapenos and add bacon and cilantro for flavor.
Bonus they’re very economical at pennies per serving!
I’ll have to admit, I didn’t like, or I didn’t think I liked, pinto beans. I suppose, my mother didn’t flavor them enough. I discovered if you add yummy ingredients like bacon, salt, pepper, jalapeno and cilantro, they’re fabulous!! I tried not to like them but I really do.
Now, you may be asking yourself why I even bothered with pinto beans. I have a 15 pound bag of them. Yeah, for realz. You see, I ask a friend to bring a small bag of peas to a dinner party because I had forgotten to pick them up when I shopped. I only needed a few. All I wanted them for was to place on my serving tray and sit Deviled Eggs on top. Have you ever used that trick to keep Deviled Eggs in their place? Being the savvy shopper she is, the 15 pound bag was mere pennies more than the 8 oz bag so she grabbed them.
I have 15 pounds of pinto beans in my pantry that I hate to throw out! They’re fabulously healthy so I decided to cook some and see if my taste had changed since childhood. I’m so happy I did. They are delicious!
Also, it’s true what my mom told me as a child when I wouldn’t eat certain things,
“if you get hungry enough, you’ll eat almost anything.”
Yes, my friends, that has never been more true! I’m not really for dieting, but thought I’d kick start 2014 with eating healthier and after doing a little research kind of designed my own detox, paleo, gluten-free eating plan. Which is to say, I’m not following any of them strictly, but just trying to eat more natural, healthy, non-processed foods.
The second part of any healthy plan is exercising. Now not everyone can or wants to run. Here’s a little chart to show calories burned comparing walking and running.
|Walk For||Run For||Calories burned|
|20 minutes||9 minutes||100|
|30 minutes||14 minutes||150|
|45 minutes||21 minutes||225|
|60 minutes||27 minutes||300|
|90 minutes||41 minutes||450|
|*based on a 150 lb female|
Slow Cooker Gluten Free Pinto Bean Recipe
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 fresh jalapeno* seeded and diced
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 T dried or 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon beef flavored better than bouillon paste
- Sort through beans and remove any with spots on them.
- Soak beans in a large bowl of water 3 parts water to 1 part beans.
- Soak over-night.
- Drain and rinse beads. Place in slow cooker and cover with fresh water to 1 inch above the beans
- Cook bacon to render some of the fat out. Add bacon and drippings to slow cooker with beans. Add bouillon, onions, jalapeno, salt, and pepper.
- Heat on high and cook 4 hours.
- Add cilantro 10 to 15 mintues before serving.
Tangy Teriyaki Scallops with Pineapple Mango Relish