A simple yet delectable recipe, Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Wedges are the perfect appetizer or side dish. Gluten-free, Paleo, Whole30 (if your bacon is compliant)
I really thought Yukon gold potatoes were delicious wrapped in bacon. (They are!) But, WOW, sweet potatoes wrapped with bacon is even better!!
This is my new favorite way to enjoy sweet potatoes.
TIPS FOR BACON WRAPPED SWEET POTATO WEDGES
- I used small-ish potatoes. Really, any size potato will work. For reference, my potatoes were about 4-inches long and 4-inches wide.
- Next,I cut each potato into eight wedges.
- As well, I used a combination of spices for the potatoes. As always, omit any you don’t like. I used salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- You’ll need thin-cut bacon.
- Additionally, I cut each slice of bacon into thirds.
- Finally, I didn’t see the need for oil since the bacon provided enough. However, you will want to spray the wire rack or pan with non-stick spray.
- I mean, really you can wrap the bacon around the potato any way you want. However, I didn’t want to use toothpicks (because why would I when you can wrap them securely?) To wrap, start on one side of the potato and make one complete wrap with a slice of bacon. Therefore, where you start and where you end will be on the same side.
- Now, lay the side where the bacon meets down on your pan.
- Furthermore, I tried baking these with and without a wire rack. Obviously, the bacon gets crispier when they’re cooked on a wire rack and I prefer it crispy.
- I cooked the potatoes at 425°F for 30 minutes. Adjust the cooking time based on the size of your potatoes.
- As well, I recommend you Calibrate your Oven at least once a year to ensure you’re cooking at the correct temperature.
- You can test for doneness with a fork, not a knife. You should be able to pierce the fork easily into the potatoes when they’re done.
These crispy wedges are perfect for any time.
The sauce is Chipotle Ranch. You can get that recipe here.
Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Wedges
- 4 medium sweet potatoes cut into 8 wedges
- 6 slices bacon thin cut, each slice cut into 1/3
- ¾ teaspoon salt or adjust to taste
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper or adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Mix the salt, cayenne pepper, & paprika together.
- Take each potato wedge and dredge it in the seasoning.
- Take a piece of bacon and wrap it around the potato beginning and ending on the same side. Place the potato down on the side where the bacon end pieces meet. (This will keep it from unwrapping as it cooks and you won't need toothpicks.) Repeat with each potato wedge.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 425°F.