Burrata Basil Pesto Pasta is an extremely flavorful and well-balanced meal that comes together in about 25 minutes. This quick and simple recipe with its bold flavors is perfect for weeknights.
BURRATA BASIL PESTO PASTA
If you love pesto, you’ll love this quick recipe. It’s really perfect in my opinion since I like quick and I like cheese. The one drawback it may have for you is the absence of protein. However, you can easily add chicken to the recipe.
I used one pound of pasta in this recipe so it isn’t a huge amount. You can easily double or triple it if needed.
Another pesto recipe that you’ll have on repeat is this pesto couscous salad. So good!
INGREDIENTS FOR BURRATA PESTO PASTA
- Pesto. You can buy it or make it. I included the recipe below if you want to make it. The ingredients to make it are basil, parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Pasta. I used one pound of mini farfalle pasta which is so cute to me. Use whatever shape you like or have on hand.
- Burrata cheese. Burrata is glorious. If you can’t find it or don’t want to pay the price tag for it you can sub mozzarella.
- Olive oil.
- Thyme. You can use fresh or dried.
- Shallot. Shallots really have a different flavor than onions. They’re much milder so I really don’t recommend substituting an onion.
- Black pepper. Freshly ground black pepper has more flavor.
- Red pepper flakes. If you have to substitute ground red pepper go with just a pinch.
- Heavy cream. You can use ricotta or
CAN I USE PREPARED PESTO?
Yes, absolutely. Buy it if you aren’t able to make it. (I prefer this brand when I buy it.) I had an abundance of basil plus I cut back on salt and oil when I make it.
Furthermore, you don’t have to make traditional basil pesto. You can make pesto with a variety of other greens. Of course, they will have a different flavor but change is good, right? Here are a few to try.
HERE ARE MORE RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY!
- Pesto Jalapeno Poppers
- Mac n Cheese, No roux No flour
- One Pan Baked Caprese Orzo
- Winter Harvest Pasta
- One-Pot Spicy Thai Noodles
- Pesto Pasta (vegan)
- Creamy Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes
- One-Pot Italian Sausage Orzo
Burrata Basil Pesto Pasta
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
For the pesto
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the pasta
- 1 pound pasta any shape
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons thyme fresh, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup fresh basil pesto or prepared pesto
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces burrata
- 1 medium lemon juiced and zested
For the pesto
- Combine all ingredients in a mini food processor (or blender) and pulse until mostly smooth. (This pesto will keep 1 week in the fridge in an airtight container.)
For the pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta to al dente, according to package directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Drain.
- In the same pot set over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, shallot, garlic, thyme, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook another minute.
- Add the reserved pasta cooking water, the pasta and pesto stir until combined. Next, break the burrata over the pasta. Remove from the heat and gently stir until the cheese is melty.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and serve immediately topped with additional fresh basil, if desired.