One Pan Baked Caprese Orzo recipe will become your busy night’s go-to meal! Yes, even the orzo pasta cooks in the same pan in the oven!
ONE PAN BAKED CAPRESE ORZO
This pasta meal is made in 30 minutes in one pan in the oven and it’s overloaded with flavor from pantry staples! (Excluding the grape tomatoes.) It makes a great meatless Monday meal but you can easily add chicken to make it heartier.
Additionally, it’s great as a side dish to burgers or grilled chicken. Well, actually, it’s a great side to anything!
You can also make this on the stovetop if you prefer.
ONE PAN BAKED CAPRESE ORZO INGREDIENTS
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chili flakes
- ground black pepper
- Mozzarella cheese
- Vegetable broth
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
- You did read the ingredient list correctly. This recipe does not have any oil. I found the pesto provided enough oil to the recipe.
- Pesto and cheese both have a lot of sodium. For this reason, I didn’t add any salt. You can always add salt once it is cooked and you taste it or at the table.
- I tested the recipe both with and without the red pepper flakes and found that I much preferred the extra flavor chili flakes added. Omit if you’re not a fan.
- Also, I used 1/2 cup of pesto.
- You can use water or any kind of broth to cook the pasta. I used vegetable stock.
- As well, I used 1 pint of grape tomatoes (you can sub cherry) but you can add more.
- A true Caprese has mozzarella but sub any cheese. Havarti is creamy and would be delightful!
- Chives are milder than green onions but green onions will work. You can also use dried chives.
CAN I ADD A PROTEIN?
Yes. Chicken would be yummy. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs into small cubes so that cook through. Add the chicken at the beginning with the tomatoes.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- New Orleans Sausage Shrimp Crawfish Pasta
- Blistered Grape Tomatoes and Pesto Quinoa Bowl
- Shrimp Spaghetti Carbonara
- Blistered Grape Tomatoes
- Ground Beef Mongolian Noodles
- Creamy Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes
- Whipped Feta with Blistered Tomatoes (dip)
- Blistered Tomato Ricotta Pasta
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but I have endeavored to be as accurate as possible.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER Pinterest board! Follow Call Me PMc on Pinterest.
ONE PAN BAKED CAPRESE ORZO
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 pint Cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- ½ tablespoon Chives diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon Chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Orzo dry
- ½ cup Pesto prepared or homemade
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 435° F.
- In a 7x12-inch baking dish, combine the tomatoes, garlic, chives, basil, chili flakes, and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, to the same pan, add the orzo and pesto. Pour over 2 cups of vegetable stock into the pan and stir to combine.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the orzo is al dente and most of the water has cooked out. (You want a little water remaining, it'll soak into the pasta.)
- When the pasta is cooked, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and return the casserole to the oven. Bake until the cheese melts.
- Allow it to sit and cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
I love a good one pan recipe and this orzo is good!!
Made this last night and it was delicious! Full of flavor and a nice hearty meal.
Oh wow incredibly flavorful!
I love how versatile orzo is and flavors in this dish are perfect!