Moist, tart and sweet these Margarita Cupcakes are full of lime, margarita mix and, yes, tequila!
Don’t worry the tequila bakes out leaving a unique flavor in these most popular cupcakes!
Margarita Cupcakes are the dessert version of the popular cocktail and a real crowd pleaser.
It’s a tequila lime cupcake with creamy frosting that you’ll love!
My kitchen is always in disarray. Somewhat,……..ok, mostly because of my lack of attention to only one task at a time.
This is how it goes. I start making, say, breakfast, then I remember I need to feed the sourdough bread so I do that half way through making biscuits…… Then I remember I need to make cupcakes for the cookout today so I sit eggs, butter and cream cheese out….. Oh, yeah, back to the biscuits….. Ryder comes in ‘When’s bweckfast? What are we havin’? I want bacon.’
And so it goes……………
I always have dirty dishes on the counter and ingredients sitting out.
You have been warned!
But in the middle of that chaos, these beautiful and delicious Margaritas Cupcakes were created!
The tart lime cream cheese icing is my favorite part of these cupcakes!
Here’s an older version of these Margarita Cupcakes. I used to make cakes and cupcakes special order for the public. I also made the desserts for a local restaurant for a couple of years. It was fun. These cupcakes were one of the most requested items I offered!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3/4 c liquid margarita mix
- 2 oz tequila
- 3 eggs
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 T lime zestFor the frosting:
- 1 stick butter room temp
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 2 T lime juice or margarita mix
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 5 cups or a little more confectioners' sugar
- Limes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pans with liners. Combine margarita mix and tequila, set aside. In mixer bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, lime zest, and vegetable oil. Add margarita mix and tequila. Beat with mixer on low 2 minutes. Using an ice cream scoop for measurement, fill each cupcake 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees 20 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, lime juice (or margarita mix), and lime zest. When smooth add confectioners' sugar one cup at a time, mixing each time until smooth before adding more. Add extra sugar if necessary to make frosting firm. Pipe on cupcakes with a large decorator tip. Garnish with lime wedge. Keep refrigerated.
I think you’ll like these desserts too
Sinfully Delicious Orange Marmalade Sweet Rolls