Old Fashioned Homemade Sweet Potato Biscuits with Honey Butter are buttery, slightly sweet, and pillowy soft.
I’ve always loved sweet potatoes from baked to casseroles to our family favorite Candied sweet potatoes. It’s a good thing too, I suppose, I live 45 miles east of the sweet potato capital of the world, Vardaman, MS.
We always had sweet potatoes during the cold months when I was growing up. There were always farmers that would bring a truckbed full of sweet potatoes to town to sell. We would literally pick what we wanted from the truck, pay and be on our way. I don’t see this much anymore, but one of my husband’s clients is a large sweet potato producer. On a recent visit, Wesley brough back a case of sweet potatoes even though he’s not the biggest fan of them.
I looked for ways to use the sweet potatoes.
I had always heard of Sweet Potato Biscuits, but it wasn’t something my Mom made and I had never had them growing up. I decided to change that by making Old Fashioned Homemade Sweet Potato Biscuits with Honey Butter.
I was very pleased with how they turned out. Tall and fluffy with just a slight hint of sweet potato flavor. I suppose they truely were lightly sweet potato flavored because Wesley really, really like them. His first critique regarding them were, “not bad”, but when I saw him reheating one the following night, then another one the next night I knew that “not bad” really meant “really good”.
Like this post on Old Fashioned Homemade Sweet Potato Biscuits with Honey Butter? Subscribe to my newsletter and get loads more!
Old Fashioned Homemade Sweet Potato Biscuits with Honey Butter
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup cooked mashed sweet potatotes
- 1/4 cup very cold buter cut into cubes
- 5 to 7 tablespoons whole milk
- HONEY BUTTER
- 1/2 cup butter not margarine
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a skillet with solid vegetable shortening to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sweet potatoes and 5 tablespoon milk. (you may need a little more milk, see how dry they are)
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add sweet potato mixture and stir gently to combine. Add more milk if needed. You dough needs to be moist enough to stay together and firm.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface and turn the dough onto the surface. Knead 2 to 3 times until the mixture comes together.
- Pat dough so that it's 1 inch thick.
- Cut into 2 inch round biscuits and place in prepared skillet. Bake until lightly browned about 14 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter after removing from oven if desired.
- Mix butter and honey together until smooth, serve with hot biscuits