Thanksgiving Candied Sweet Potatoes are sweet and earthy. A delicious side dish with your holiday feast!
I mean, I’m pretty sure that no one except a Southern girl would have a recipe that starts out ‘boil potatoes in sugar water..’! Southerners do like sugar. For instance, we love tea, but tea is sweet and served over ice.
It’s a tradition with a lot of people to have sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You know the one with the marshmallows on top? My sister-in-law was assigned to bring the sweet potato casserole to Thanksgiving one year. She didn’t have marshmallows so she topped it with chocolate chips! (what?!) It wasn’t a hit!
My family, on the other hand, always had Thanksgiving Candied Sweet Potatoes instead of a casserole. Have you ever heard of Thanksgiving Candied Sweet Potatoes ? We always have this during the holidays
Basically, you slice yummy sweet potatoes thinly and boil them in a simple syrup. It sounds like a dessert, but my family eats them with our meal.
When your choosing sweet potatoes for this recipes, look for medium to small ones about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter and 4 or 5 inches long. I’ve found this size overall tends to be more tender; I think you’ll agree with me. Most stores in my area have sweet potatoes in stock right now. I hope you can find them because I really want you to try this recipe.
Thanksgiving Candied Sweet Potatoes
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Slice potatoes evenly about 1/4 inch thick. Try to get them all the same thickness so they'll cook at the same rate.
- Add sugar and water to a medium sized sauce pan.
- Heat on medium high until sugar is dissolved.
- Add sliced sweet potatoes and salt to water.
- Cook on stove top at a simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft and water has thickened. Your water should be thick like a maple or corn syrup.
- Add butter and stir until butter melts.
I love potatoes. Here are more recipes with potatoes that you may enjoy!