Mashed Parmesan Potato Cakes have a crispy outside and fluffy, creamy inside. Enjoy them plain or load similar to loaded potato skins
with cheddar, bacon, green onions and ranch dressing.
My mom made Potato Cakes when I was young. I loved them and asked her to make them often, the only problem was we rarely had leftover mashed potatoes so I didn’t get them near as often as I would have liked. In fact, Skillet Potatoes are my all time favorite. But, I like potatoes almost in any way you can cook them. They are so versatile!
As I mentioned, this is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. If you don’t have leftover mashed potatoes and want to make these, simply make Mashed Potatoes using your favorite mashed potato recipe. Refrigerate to cool the potatoes. They will hold together much better if the potatoes are cold. Keep this step in mind if you are not using leftover mashed potatoes that have been refrigerated.
MASHED PARMESAN POTATO CAKES
I like the taste of these Parmesan Potato Cakes plain. My husband, on the other hand, always like more. He likes more seasonings, more toppings, more sauce, more bacon. I agree with the bacon part. When I’m making some that I think is just fabulous, then I have to think what would Big Daddy add to this? That’s where the shredded cheddar, slivered green onions, and sour cream came. Topping them like the popular potato skins makes perfect sense!
A big dollop of Remoulade Sauce or Ranch dressing would be tasty as well.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THESE
In my mind, there are basic recipes that everyone needs to know how to make. A good potato recipe is one of them. I have several to choose from.
- Crock Pot Crack Hash Brown Potatoes
- Hash Brown Potato Casserole aka Funeral Potatoes
- Crispy Roast Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Ranch Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Hasselback Scalloped Potatoes
- Potato Foil Packs
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH CHEDDAR?
Steak is a classic with scalloped potatoes, but I think potatoes go with any main.
- Balsamic Butter Sauce over New York Strip Steaks
- Rosemary Pork Tenderloin
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma Skewers
- Jalapeno Basil Pork Chop
- Hamburger Steak
Mashed Parmesan Potato Cakes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon green onion minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated, can substitute your favorite cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Serve with sour cream Ranch dressing or Easy Remoulade Sauce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup crumbled bacon.
- 2 tablespoon canola oil for cooking
- green onion slivers for garnish
- Mix mashed potatoes, egg, onion, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder together.
- Using an ice cream for uniform sizes scoop out mixture and flatten with hand to form a disc.
- Dredge in panko bread crumbs.
- Heat a skillet or saute' pan to med-high, once hot add oil. When oil begins to ripple add potato cakes. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown before turning to the other side. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes until the second side is browned.
- Carefully remove to platter