Mashed Parmesan Potato Cakes have a crispy outside and fluffy, creamy inside. Enjoy them plain or load similar to loaded potato skins
with cheddar, bacon, green onions and ranch dressing.
My mom made Potato Cakes when I was young. I loved them and asked her to make them often, the only problem was we rarely had leftover mashed potatoes so I didn’t get them near as often as I would have liked. In fact, Skillet Potatoes are my all time favorite. But, I like potatoes almost in any way you can cook them. They are so versatile!
As I mentioned, this is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. If you don’t have leftover mashed potatoes and want to make these, simply make Mashed Potatoes using your favorite mashed potato recipe. Refrigerate to cool the potatoes. They will hold together much better if the potatoes are cold. Keep this step in mind if you are not using leftover mashed potatoes that have been refrigerated.
I like the taste of these Parmesan Potato Cakes plain. My husband, on the other hand, always like more. He likes more seasonings, more toppings, more sauce, more bacon. I agree with the bacon part. When I’m making some that I think is just fabulous, then I have to think what would Big Daddy add to this? That’s where the shredded cheddar, slivered green onions, and sour cream came. Topping them like the popular potato skins makes perfect sense!
A big dollop of Remoulade Sauce or Ranch dressing would be tasty as well.
I would serve this is a heavy appetizer or side. Wouldn’t they be great with a burger? or grilled chicken?
Mashed Parmesan Potato Cakes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon green onion minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese can substitute your favorite cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Serve iwth sour cream Ranch dressing or Easy Remoulade Sauce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup crumbled bacon.
- 2 tablespoon canola oil for cooking
- green onion slivers for garnish
- Mix mashed potatoes, egg, onion, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder together.
- Using an ice cream for uniform sizes scoop out mixture and flatten with hand to form a disc.
- Dredge in panko bread crumbs.
- Heat a skillet or saute' pan to med high, once hot add oil. When oil beginsn to ripple add potato cakes. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown before turning to other side. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes until second side is browned.
- Carefully remove to platter
Need more potatoes? click picture for recipe