The luscious end-of-summer dessert, Peach Upside Down Cake is bursting with flavor. Easy to make and completely addictive.
This single layer Peach Upside Down Cake is a nod to the ever-popular and classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Using peaches that abundant in the South during the summer was a logical choice for updating this classic.
Peach Upside Down Cake Tips
- First, you can easily whisk this by hand and fore-go getting that heavy mixer out.
- Also, you can use pears, plums, nectarines, or apples instead of the peaches in this recipe.
- I recommend using real butter.
- The time given is for baking in a 9-inch cake pan. However, you can use an 8-inch. It will need to cook slightly longer. You can also use a cast-iron skillet.
- You can use fresh or frozen peaches. I have not tried it with canned, but feel confident they’ll work too.
- Also, brown sugar gives more flavor, but you can use granulated white sugar.
- The peaches do need to be cut 1/2-inch or thinner. I find that they sink into the cake more than I like when they’re cut thicker than that.
- Allow the cake to cool 5 to 10 minutes before flipping it onto a serving tray. However, do not let it cool completely or it’ll most likely stick. I find using oven mitts much easier to use than potholders.
How to Make this Recipe
Slice your peaches less than 1/2-inch thick. Melt your butter. Pour the butter into your pan, sprinkle the sugar over it, and arrange the peaches in a single layer. You can cover the entire bottom of the cake pan. (However, I didn’t have enough so I made a pretty pattern and went with it.) Mix the batter and spoon it over the peaches begin careful not to disturb your pattern. Bake. Cool. Flip. Eat!
I enjoy eating this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Shop this post
Are you into upside-down cakes? Check these out!
Peach Upside Down Cake
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 3/4 cup butter divided, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 cups peaches sliced, can use frozen (they do not have to be thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Melt 1/4 cup butter; pour into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange the peach slices in a single layer over the sugar.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter over the peaches.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.