Sloppy Stromboli Joe Sandwiches are a delicious choice for a quick family meal. This homemade Italian version has Italian flavors of oregano, Italian seasoning, and mozzarella cheese. Sloppy never tasted so good!
This is my Italian twist on a Sloppy Joe. By the say, why is it Sloppy Joe? Why isn’t it Sloppy John, or Sloppy Ken, or Sloppy Tim? Why was Joe sloppy? Somebody let me know!😁
HOW TO MEAL PREP SLOPPY STROMBOLI JOE SANDWICHES
Sloppy Stromboli Joe’s are the perfect midweek dinner. They’re so indulgent and sure to please your entire family! They are ideal for meal prep. You can even freeze some of it and thaw them out whenever you’re ready. For this reason, I always make a double batch and freeze half for later.
- Brown your meat. Add the sauce ingredients as directed, but don’t reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Store in an airtight container and freeze.
- To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop with a few tablespoons of water.
- Continue as directed in Step 4 of the instructions below.
Sloppy Stromboli Joe Sandwiches Tips
- Read through the recipe a couple of times before you begin.
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready before you begin the recipe.
- To save fat and calories you can use ground chicken or turkey.
- You don’t have to bake the sandwiches, but they sure are better in my opinion if you do.
How to make Sloppy Stromboli Joe Sandwiches in the Slow Cooker
- In a pot over medium-high heat, brown meat and onions until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add ketchup, tomato sauce, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic, and parmesan cheese to the slow cooker and stir together.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 6 hours.
- When it’s done, turn the slow cooker off.
- Build your Sloppy Stromboli Joes by scooping mixture evenly on bread and continue Step 4 below.
Amazing sides to serve with your Sloppy Stromboli Joes
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is an estimate and can vary depending on the products used.
Sloppy Stromboli Joe Sandwiches
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Spread butter over top halves of bread. Spread 1/2 mozzarella cheese over bottom bread half.
- Spoon meat mixture over top. Then spread remaining mozzarella cheese over meat. Place top half of bread over cheese.
- Wrap each sandwich loaf in foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Slice into smaller serving sizes, about 8 sandwiches total.