Spinach Ricotta Pasta Casserole features baby spinach, tender ricotta, creamy mozzarella, and just a touch of red pepper making a perfect side dish or meatless main. Easily add chicken or sausage for a heartier meal.
I’m not sure whether to consider this as Cream Spinach with Pasta or Mac n Cheese with Spinach! 🤔It’s kinda both!
SPINACH RICOTTA PASTA CASSEROLE
This pasta has a creamy white sauce and three kinds of cheese: ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. It’s rich and decadent! As well, it’s a very simple and economical recipe. It’s hearty enough for a meatless main entree or you can add chopped chicken to it.
This casserole also reheats well if you have leftovers.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Cottage cheese is a good substitution for the ricotta in this recipe. As well, cottage cheese is usually cheaper.
I really prefer fresh spinach in this pasta, but you can use frozen. Thaw and drain frozen spinach really well before adding it to the pasta.
Baking is not necessary if you’re in a rush. Rather, you can mix the ingredients in a large pan (that has a lid). After you add the cheese on top, simply place the lid on the pan, reduce the stove to simmer, and give the cheese a few minutes to melt.
While you’re here, check out these recipes.
- Chicken Enchiladas in White Sauce
- Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 9 Wholesome Meals under 600 Calories
- Creamy Pasta with Ricotta and Tomatoes
- Dill Pickle Brined Pork Tenderloin
- Crock Pot Rotel Crack Chicken
- You can find more recipes at my Recipe Index
Spinach Ricotta Pasta Casserole
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 12 ounces pasta
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or paprika if you don't like heat
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- ¼ teapoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- pasta water *You may not need it
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Fold in the cooked pasta to the cheese mixture. Add pasta water a little at a time if needed to loosen up the cheese. Add 3/4 cup of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Cover the pasta with the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and it's golden and bubbly. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.