Baked Vanilla Donuts with Chocolate Frosting start with a simple
vanilla batter. They’re baked until lightly puffy and brown then dunked
in smooth, rich chocolate!
A couple of months ago I finally placed a big order with Amazon for some kitchen items that I had been wanting. One of the things I wanted was a donut pan. Another is a Silpat mat that you see in the photos below. Although I use the Silpat mat mostly for baking cookies, I did style photos with it this time.
Baked Vanilla Donuts | Chocolate Frosting
The base for this vanilla donut is similar to any plain cake, muffin or waffle batter. Fill free to use this basic dough and eat them plain or top them with a simple vanilla glaze. You can also mix in 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips and leave them un-frosted!
One thing you will want to do is put our batter into a zip top bag, snip the corner and pipe the batter into your donut pan. It makes it much less messier this way!
Also, if you don’t have a donut pan you can bake it in a muffin tin. You will need to adjust cooking time; start at 1 to 2 minutes longer and watch carefully.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ¼ cup greek yogurt (sour cream or buttermilk may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (may substitute margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup prepared chocolate cake frosting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Combine.
- Add egg, yogurt, milk, butter and vanilla stir until just combined. Over-stirring will make the donut tough.
- Place batter in a zip-top bag. I find the easiest way, unless you have someone to help, is to put the bag in a large glass. This leaves your hands free to get all the mixture into the bag.
- Squeeze the air out of the bag and snip the corner.
- Pipe the batter evenly into the donut pan. If your pan isn't a non-stick, you'll need to spray it with no-stick spray first.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a baking rack while you prepare the frosting.
- Microwave frosting at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Immediately dip donut in frosting, allow to cool and set. Enjoy!