Sausage Potato Hash.
Hash. Not to be confused with hashtag which is a symbol created organically by Twitter as a search function. Hash, when referring to food, is a coarse mixture of potatoes, meat and spices. This is the kind of hash I’ll be talking about!
Sausage Potato Hash is an inexpensive meal to make. Even in today’s economy potatoes are still relatively cheap. I follow about a 3 to 1 ratio of potatoes to sausage in Sausage Potato Hash.
- To keep the cost down
- to keep the fat down (a little)
If my boys were making this recipe, they’ have the ratio 3 to 1 in favor of sausage over potatoes!!
It’s a boy thing.
When you cut the potatoes, you’ll want to cube them all close to the same size. This is because the potatoes will cook more evenly at the same size. I also like to cut the sausage the same, I just think this dish is more appealing to the eye when everything is the same size.
The other thing you’ll want to do is soak the potatoes in water after you’ve cut them. Basically, soaking them in water removes a lot of the starch and makes them cook more crisply.
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes*, washed and cubed
- 1- 16 oz pkg Bryan Smokey Hollow Smoked Sausage (the one with 3 large links to a package)
- salt and pepper
- canola oil
- Wash and cube potatoes. Soak in water 30 minutes to an hour. Remove from water and drain potatoes.
- Add potatos to a large pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well. You do not want much water on the potatoes when you add them to the hot skillet!
- Add 3 T canola oil to a cast-iron skillet and heat on medium to medium low. Add just enough potatoes and sausage to make one layer in skillet, liberally salt and pepper the mixture. (You will have to cook in batches or use two pans.)
- Cook on one side, undisturbed, until browned. This will take about 10 minutes. Turn with a spatula and cook until browned and cooked through. (Add more oil if necessary.) When potatoes are browned as much as you like, remove from pan and cook second batch.
- Serve immediately.
One year ago I posted:
Last month I shared: