Best Oreo Brownies Recipe. These brownies are decadent, sensational, and out-of-this-world!! Special black cocoa makes them extra dark and rich. They’re topped with fluffy frosting that’s loaded with crushed Oreos!
There’s really just one word, phrase rather, that comes to mind to describe these brownies: OH MY GOSH!!!!
Wow! Incredible! Can’t eat just one! Rich! Holy cow! …….. Are additional words I would use.
These are really close to the best brownie I’ve ever had. At the moment, I can’t remember one that’s been better but I’m going to leave that open-ended for now.
BEST OREO BROWNIES RECIPE
These brownies have Special Dark Cocoa and melted chocolate as well as regular cocoa. This recipe doesn’t have nuts or chocolate chunks in it but you could add them if you want. They’re pure brownie deliciousness with chewy edges and a gooey, soft center.
And then….. what really sets this brownie recipe ahead of all the rest is the generous layer of cookies and cream frosting! Can we all do a collective ‘Yummmmmm‘?
The frosting is basically ‘birthday cake’ frosting or, officially named, buttercream, with crushed Oreos mixed in.
These brownies are so rich and so decadent you really should serve them in small, fudge-size servings! They’ll blow your head off with sweetness if you eat too large of a piece. 😉 But, that’s a good thing so go for it!
BEST OREO BROWNIES RECIPE
Recently, I’ve shared Oreo Poke Cake, Oreo Cheesecake (whoa!!!), and Oreo Cupcakes. (You can get all my Oreo recipes here.) Although Oreo cookies are only in the frosting of this recipe, I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa in the brownies. That’s the same cocoa I used for these Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies, coincidently, they taste just like an Oreo!!
Black Cocoa is what gives these brownies the Oreo flavor. You can purchase Black Cocoa here. Very close in flavor is Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa. You can use either of these in any recipe that calls for cocoa to make it richer tasting. I recommend you trying it for these brownies if you really want the Oreo flavor to come through. Although, they’ll be good whatever cocoa you go with.
Buttercream frosting is made of butter, solid vegetable shortening, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy whipping cream. Some people use whole milk or water instead of heavy whipping cream. After trying all of them, heavy whipping cream hands down makes the best frosting.
You can omit the crushed Oreos from the frosting but I really like the texture and of course, the flavor the cookies give it.
As you can see, I frosted them generously. I believe a 1:1 ratio of icing to cake should be a rule, not an option. However, if you don’t want that much frosting you can half the frosting recipe instead.
Best Oreo Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, unsalted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, baking chocolate, or your favorite
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup Hershey's special dark cocoa powder Hershey's special or black cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Allow this mixture to cool.
- While that is cooling, whisk together both cocoa powders, flour, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Beat the eggs then add them and the vanilla extract to the cooled butter mixture. Stir well.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and fold the mixture gently until well mixed. There may still be small, dry clumps and that's ok. Don't over mix the batter. It will be thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes. The top may crack if it does it's okay, you'll cover it with frosting.
- Let the brownies cool before frosting them.
- Cream the butter and shortening with the whisk attachment of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low add the powdered sugar. Mix until incorporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon whipping cream and vanilla extract and mix. Add the other tablespoon of whipping cream if needed. You want the mixture to be soft and fluffy.
- Fold in the crushed Oreo by hand until evenly incorporated.
- Spread frosting carefully and evenly over the brownies with an offset spatula.