Buttery and flaky these homemade Cheesy Ham buttermilk biscuits are adorned with ham and cheddar cheese. Seriously amazing!
This southern style breakfast of homemade biscuits with country ham and gooey cheese is the perfect hearty breakfast! These biscuits are buttery, savory, and a well-deserved treat!
In my family, it’s a rare event when everyone likes the same food. We all like Mexican food, pizza, pancakes, and biscuits. Literally, I think that’s all.
Therefore, consider my astonishment when I made these biscuits primarily for the blog and the kids went nuts for them. I knew Big Daddy and I would like them, but never would I have thought my oldest son would like them.
The entire family raved about them and requested them for breakfast on school mornings. Since I’ve been having such a difficult time recently getting up, that will be a challenge. But, one I’m willing to make.
I wanted to stop at one, but I could not put them down. The boys were the same way. In fact, I asked them to save Big Daddy two since he wasn’t there when I made them. Do you know what? I heated them up for him that night and they were just as good as reheated as they were initially.
Try these biscuit recipes as well
Cheesy Ham Buttermilk Biscuits
- I used 2 ounces of cream cheese in this recipe. Place your cream cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes before cubing it. It will cut much easier.
- I used a cheddar/Colby cheese mix. You can use your favorite cheese or whatever you have on hand.
- I brushed to top of my Cheesy Ham Buttermilk Biscuits with butter, but I’ll be honest, it really didn’t need it.
- The dough is thick. I fold it instead of kneading it. This gives the biscuits those beautiful, much-desired layers.
- Use real butter, I do not recommend margarine or butter substitutes.
Cheesy Ham buttermilk biscuits
Cheesy Ham buttermilk biscuits are studded with ham and cheese. These biscuits are buttery, savory, and a well-deserved treat!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes and frozen for 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes and frozen for 30 minutes
- 1 and 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 1 cup ham, cubed
see post above for substitutions
- Cube cream cheese and butter and place in freezer for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- To a bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cream cheese, and butter.
- Using a pastry cutter, mix ingredients until it resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk, ham, and cheese until combined. This dough will appear dry.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4 to 5 times until the dough comes together.
- Press dough into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle and cut into twelve 2-inch squares.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm
As a busy mom, Paula saw the need to simplify cooking and meal prep without sacrificing flavor. She provides simple recipes and time-saving strategies for delicious and nutritious meals for your family. Please share CallMePMc.com with your friends.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.