Here’s one to get excited about, Poblano Pepper Chili Rellenos Casserole is a super easy and tasty take on classic Chiles Rellenos! This casserole recipe has a creamy and cheesy chicken and egg mixture with flavorful poblano chiles.
For everyone who likes Chile Rellenos, this is a no-fuss version. It can also be a meatless Chili Rellenos Casserole. I put chopped, cooked chicken in my version to make it heartier for the men. But, it’s fabulous and filling with the protein from the eggs without chicken.
Versatile as well, my Mexican inspired casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd, special occasions, or easy weeknight family meals.
I was confused if the correct word was ‘chile’ or ‘chili’. I did a little research and found out. The poblano is a mild chili pepper originating in the state of Puebla, Mexico. Dried, it is called a chile ancho. When it is ripe, it’s red and much hotter than the less ripe, green poblano. I used fresh, green poblano peppers and therefore ‘chili’ is the correct usage in this recipe.
I love learning new things!
Poblano Pepper Chili Rellenos Casserole
- I used fresh, roasted poblano peppers in my casserole version. You can see How to Roast and Peel Poblano Peppers here.
- I also posted the video below on How to Skin Poblano peppers.
- As well, you can use canned chiles. Be sure you get the whole chiles, not the diced ones. You can use the whole poblano peppers or the whole green chiles.
- If you like foods a little spicier, you may want to use Hatch Green Chilies. They are hotter than poblano peppers.
- If you prefer, you can use cream of tartar to fluff the eggs instead of flour. Use 1 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Can chiles will give you 8 to 12 chiles. You can use as many or as few as you like. I used 3 poblano peppers, cut open and spread into a single layer to cover the entire bottom of the casserole dish.
Poblano Pepper Chili Rellenos Casserole is an easier version of the popular Chili Rellenos entree. It's creamy, cheesy, and my version if filled with chicken and great for breakfast or dinner. My Mexican inspired casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd, special occasions, or easy weeknight family meals.
- 3 poblano peppers
- 2 cups cheddar colby cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup flour*
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered dry mustard
Roast, peel, and deseed poblano peppers.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x12-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
Spread the peppers out in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
Sprinkle the cheddar/Colby cheese over the peppers.
In a bowl, combine the eggs, flour, milk, salt, and mustard. Whisk until flour clumps are gone. (some may remain)
Pour egg mixture over cheese.
Top with pepper jack cheese.
Bake uncovered 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until firm and set in the center.
Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
As a busy mom, Paula saw the need to simplify cooking and meal prep without sacrificing flavor. She provides simple recipes and time-saving strategies for delicious and nutritious meals for your family. Please share CallMePMc.com with your friends.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Thank you, Paula