Perfectly soft and moist, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins are topped with a luscious swirl of cheesecake.
Adding pumpkin to baked recipes makes them super moist. I just love that!
PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE SWIRL MUFFINS
A few tips for successful muffins
- It’s really important to have the cream cheese at room temperature. Otherwise, it will not mix well.
- As well, I don’t recommend using low-fat or fat-free cream cheese. It doesn’t melt very well.
- Furthermore, have all your cold ingredients at room temperature.
- You’ll need pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Also, you can substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. Cook, mash, and cool the sweet potatoes before you add them to the recipe.
- You can use either vegetable oil or melted butter in the muffin mix.
- If you want a more intense pumpkin flavor, substitute the cinnamon for an equal amount of pumpkin pie spice.
- I used half a can of pumpkin puree because I didn’t want a large number of muffins. However, this recipe doubles easily if you don’t want to use half a can of pumpkin.
- If you choose to use half the can of pumpkin, as I did, what’s left you can make my over-the-top-good Pecan Pumpkin Cobbler!!
- You can add a few chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds to the top of the muffins after you swirl it for a little crunch.
- Finally, you can omit the cream cheese swirl for a wonderful plain pumpkin muffin.
HOW TO SWIRL
Maybe I’m over-explaining, but maybe this is someone’s first time to marble the top of a cake or muffin.
- I used a 1/4 cup spring release scoop to scoop the exact amount of pumpkin for each muffin.
- Next, I spooned 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on top of the pumpkin batter.
- To swirl, you can use a toothpick, skewer, or knife.
- I like to put my dollop of cream cheese in the center of the muffin.
- Then, simply take your tool of choice and swirl through the cream cheese and pumpkin mixture. You can make figure 8’s, circles, or whatever pattern you want.
- Really, the only thing to remember is ‘don’t swirl too much.’ You want to still see a definition between the cream cheese and pumpkin mixture.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
I prefer to eat the muffins warm, therefore, I just pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Tastes like freshly baked muffins!
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Peanut Butter Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bread
- Snickerdoodle Cobbler
- Strawberry Almond Milk Coconut Oil Muffins Healthy Breakfast
- 16 Homemade Energy Bars
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or fill with liners.
- Slowly whisk the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full.
- Add in sugar, egg yolk, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Top each muffin with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Use a toothpick or fork to swirl it into the batter creating a marbling effect.
- Bake the muffins for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I baked mine for 22 minutes, but it depends on how large your muffins are.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They'll be good for 3 days in the fridge.
Do you like muffins? Pumpkin? What’s your favorite pumpkin recipe?