Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bread has a bright lemon flavor and is soft, moist, loaded with blueberries, and topped with the best crumb topping!
LEMON BLUEBERRY STREUSEL BREAD
During June and July, fresh blueberries are abundant at farmers’ markets. Even when you can’t get fresh blueberries, this bread is equally good with frozen blueberries. You do not have to thaw them first.
Blueberries are loaded with nutrients. They are also packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids, and high in potassium and vitamin C. Additionally, blueberries are high in fiber and low and calories.
One of my most popular recipes is this Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Cups. It makes a healthy breakfast or snack!
Of course, this bread has a good amount of sugar in it, but a little bad with a little good equals out, right? I like to enjoy this bread for breakfast, then I have the whole day to work off those carbs and calories!
CRUMB TOPPING OR GLAZE FOR MY LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD?
Honestly, I like both a streusel topping or glaze. I don’t have a preference. I usually make a glaze for my strawberry bread which influenced me to use a streusel on this bread.
If you’ve never topped muffins or bread with streusel, it’s very simple. Flour, sugar, and butter are all that it is. I find that melted butter works better. You can use brown sugar or white granulated sugar. I used white granulated in this recipe.
WHY DID MY BLUEBERRIES SINK TO THE BOTTOM?
Most often, the blueberries are heavier than the batter and sink to the bottom. Coating them in one tablespoon of flour helps to prevent it. Although, it’s not 100% successful. A thick batter will help as well.
I have found that fresh blueberries don’t sink as much as frozen.
Additionally, I add about 1/3 of the plain batter to the loaf. Then to the rest of the batter, I fold in the blueberries. As you see in these photos, the blueberries still sank a little.
This bread is more like a ‘cake’. It’s sweet, buttery, tender, moist. And, that streusel on top is everything!!
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Dump Cake
- Two Ingredient Blueberry Donuts
- Baked Vanilla Donuts with Chocolate Frosting
- Snickerdoodle Cobbler
- Strawberry Almond Milk Coconut Oil Muffins Healthy Breakfast
- 16 Homemade Energy Bars
Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bread
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted then measured
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large lemon juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ cups blueberries fresh or frozen (and thawed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Dust the blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour. Set aside.
- Next, slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Stir gently.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Mix the streusel ingredients together with a fork. It will be crumbly. Sprinkle the crumbs over the bread.
- Place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. The bread will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with dry crumbs.