This Broccoli Quinoa Casserole recipe is easy to make, packed with flavor, and healthy! It’s the perfect blend of cheesy comfort and healthy food!
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
It’s a better broccoli casserole with the substitution of quinoa for rice. This dish has a slightly nutty flavor from the quinoa, creamy, smooth texture from the cheese, and fresh crunch from the broccoli. In addition, all the nutrition that quinoa packs make this a winning combo.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. However, quinoa is a complete protein, providing all nine essential amino acids, something rare to find in a plant product. One cup of cooked quinoa contains 222 calories and 4 grams of fat; there are 39 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of protein. It has 15 percent of the daily value for iron and is also a good source of calcium, magnesium, and vitamin E.
Quinoa is also a gluten-free and cholesterol-free whole food. As well as it’s naturally kosher.
What does quinoa taste like?
It has a nutty flavor, but fluffy texture. It easily takes on whatever sauce or flavor you add to it.
Making a Healthy Broccoli Casserole
- Dice broccoli and green onion.
- Add veggies to quinoa.
- Boil broccoli and quinoa for 12 minutes.
- Make a roux for the quinoa casserole sauce by cooking equal parts of fat and flour.
- Add milk and let the sauce come to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Drain quinoa and broccoli and add to cheese mixture.
- Place in a casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Other Recipes Like Quinoa Casserole
- Chile Cheese Rice
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Creamy Parmesan Cauliflower
- Scalloped Mascarpone Cauliflower
- Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 cup quinoa rinse if called for on package
- 1 and ¼ cup water or what's recommended on package
- 1 cup broccoli florets chopped, more if desired
- 2 Tablespoons green onions chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 and ½ cup peppper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rinse quinoa according to package directions (if called for, not all quinoa requires this step). Drain. Heat 1 and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. (Most packages say to use 1 and 1/4 cup water to 1 cup of quinoa. But go by what your package says.) Once boiling add quinoa, green onions, and broccoli and cook 12 minutes (or according to package instructions for the quinoa)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a boil while whisking. Once the mixture reaches a low boil, remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Stir until cheese melts.
- Drain quinoa and vegetables from the water and add to the cheese sauce. Stir. Pour into a casserole dish and bake 20 minutes. Serve warm.