Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe is easy to make, packed with flavor, and healthy! It’s the perfect blend of cheesy comfort and healthy food!
BROCCOLI QUINOA CASSEROLE RECIPE
It’s a better broccoli casserole with the substitution of quinoa for rice. This dish has a slightly nutty flavor from the quinoa, creamy, smooth texture from the cheese, and fresh crunch from the broccoli. In addition, all the nutrition that quinoa packs make this a winning combo.
WHAT IS QUINOA?
Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. However, quinoa is a complete protein, providing all nine essential amino acids, something rare to find in a plant product. One cup of cooked quinoa contains 222 calories and 4 grams of fat; there are 39 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of protein. It has 15 percent of the daily value for iron and is also a good source of calcium, magnesium, and vitamin E.
Quinoa is also a gluten-free and cholesterol-free whole food. As well as it’s naturally kosher.
WHAT DOES QUINOA TASTE LIKE?
It has a nutty flavor, but fluffy texture. It easily takes on whatever sauce or flavor you add to it.
IF YOU LIKE BROCCOLI QUINOA CASSEROLE RECIPE, YOU’LL LIKE THESE TOO
- Chile Cheese Rice
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Creamy Parmesan Cauliflower
- Scalloped Mascarpone Cauliflower
- Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
- Rinse quinoa according to package directions (if called for, not all quinoa requires this step). Drain. Heat 1 and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiling add quinoa, green onions, and broccoli and cook 12 minutes (or according to package instructions for the quinoa)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a boil. Once the mixture reaches a low boil, remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Stir until cheese melts.
- Drain quinoa and vegetables from the water and add to the cheese sauce. Stir. Pour into a casserole dish and bake 20 minutes. Serve warm.