I have a new favorite recipe and it’s this Sweet Potato Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe. The sweet potatos adds just enough unique flavor with pumpkin pie spice bringing a little kick to make this cornbread outstanding.
Sour cream and mashed sweet potatoes keep this Sweet Potato Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe nice and moist on the inside while still being crusty on the outside.
I’ll be honest, I eat cornbread with butter by itself as my meal. I can definitely make a meal on this cornbread. One of the things blogging has done for me is to expand my creativity in the kitchen. I would have never wanted to alter my favorite cornbread recipe prior to blogging. I want to keep bringing you fun and interesting recipes so I have learned to embrace culinary change. This recipe is one change I’m happy about!!
Sweet Potato Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe Tips
- I microwaved my sweet potatoes, but if you prefer you can boil them. I also mashed them into a smooth consistency. I had a few unintentional lumps, but actually I liked that texture in the cornbread. I may leave it more lumpy next time.
- One very important tip, this method will give you that crusty exterior on your cornbread. Heat your oven. Add 2 to 3 tablespoon vegetable oil to your skillet (I always make cornbread in a cast-iron skillet.) and place the skillet in the oven while it’s pre-heating. Adding your batter to the hot skillet will give you that crispy crust that’s so desirable on cornbread.
- Just like baking cakes, sit your sour cream and eggs on the counter and allow them to come to room temperature before baking. Your cornbread will be fluffier.
Sweet Potato Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs or 5 small eggs
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 8 ounce sour cream
- 6 Tablespoon butter melted
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat ove to 425 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoon vegetable oil to 10 inch cast iron skillet and heat skillet in oven while oven is preheating.
- Whisk the eggs, mashed sweet potatoes, sour cream and butter.
- Add the cornmeal mixture to the egg mixture and stir until just blended.
- Pour into hot skillet and spread evenly.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crusty.
- Serve hot.
If you like this recipe, you may also like
My recipe collections at communitytable.com