Thick Fudgy Ultimate Brownies are insanely delicious, dense, chocolatey brownies! This is an easy fudge brownie recipe from scratch that’s tried and true. You’ll find yourself making it time after time.
This recipe has real chocolate that’s melted and stirred into the batter as well as chocolate chips! Homemade brownies baked to perfection. They are whipped up in just minutes and gone in minutes if it’s like at my house.
Of all the desserts I make for this site, my boys don’t eat many of them. They don’t like sweets much and would much rather have a hamburger. Therefore, I have to plan to give them away or have them when we have guests. Otherwise, I’m left eating it all myself. However, they are loving my brownies series.
Thick Fudgy Ultimate Brownies are thick, soft, gooey, with that paper-like crackly top. They are super chocolatey and very indulgent. And worth every minute of extra cardio it takes to burn them off!
You may also like these brownies
Thick Fudgy Ultimate Brownies Tips
- As with all baking, I recommend using real butter.
- I also recommend using the best ingredients you can afford. They don’t have to be super expensive but I don’t use generic flour, butter or cocoa.
- I like Ghirardelli Chocolate chocolate chips.
- I use a dark chocolate chip, but you can substitute a milk chocolate or your favorite.
- With baking, it’s super important that your oven cooks at the correct temperature. Read and adjust your oven: How to Calibrate your Oven.
- Don’t over stir your brownies. Stir until the flour and ingredients are incorporated, but you don’t want to whip air into them. This will make the brownies tough and cake-like.
- I find that lining the 8×8 pan with parchment paper that has been sprayed with non-stick spray makes getting a clean cut brownie much easier. I allow the parchment paper to hang over the edge enough that I can use it as a hand-hold to lift the brownies out of the pan. Then to slice I wait until they are completely cooled and cut with a sharp chef’s knife into even portions, wiping the blade after each cut. Now, you may not care about even, smooth cut brownies. I’m not if I’m not serving them to guests or taking photos of them. In which case, let your kids or spouse cut willy-nilly any-ole random way they want to.
- You can also find great recipes here or at Meal Plan Monday or Weekend Potluck.
Thick Fudgy Ultimate Brownies
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 tablespoons real butter cut into cubes
- 4 ounces good chocolate chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional (pecans, walnuts, almonds)
- 1 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a square 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the chocolate chips, butter, and chopped unsweetened chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl. Allow to cool.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolk, and sugar by hand or with an electric mixer for 3 minutes until light and thick.
- Add the vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Add the slightly cooled melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Stir to combine using a wooden or plastic spoon or spatula.
- Add the flour and salt and gently stir it in just until no streaks of flour remain.
- Stir in nuts and additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish and bake 30 to 33 minutes. Test with a wooden pick. Insert it in the center and remove. The brownies are done when the pick is mostly clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.