Tomato Cheese Tart has a buttery, flaky, and tender crust filled with creamy cheese and topped with sun-ripened tomatoes.
What is a tart?
A tart is a baked dish consisting of a filling over a pastry base with an open top not covered with pastry.
This Tomato Tart is a classic summertime dish using fresh tomatoes. It’s reminiscent of Tomato Pie. if you’re familiar with that Southern favorite.
The recipe is incredibly flavorful and much easier to make than it looks. Doesn’t it look impressive? That’s why I like to make it when I’m entertaining.
Finally, I highly recommend you serve this with fresh basil. Fresh basil is I N C R E D I B L E and pairs with tomatoes perfectly!
Tomato Cheese Tart Tips
- I recommend using a plum, Roma, or heirloom tomato. As well, you don’t want to use beefsteak tomatoes.
- You can use either cream cheese or ricotta cheese. Typically, I use cream cheese.
- Additionally, you can make the tart crust. I have the recipe listed below. However, you can also use a purchased pie crust. If you’re making this in a tart pan, get a refrigerated roll-out pie crust.
- Also, you can use filo dough (Also known as phyllo dough) or puff pastry as the crust.
Are you looking for more fresh tomato recipes? Here’s a few for you.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Favorite Tomato Cheese Tart
One 9 inch tart crust
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese or ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese grated
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- Pulse flour, salt and sugar in a food processor to blend. Add butter; pulse with 12ish one-second pulses until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-sized pieces. Add feta and process with a couple more pulses until incorporated. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle ice water over mixture. Using a fork, mix until the dough begins to come together. Using hands, form dough into a ball, press into a disc shape and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
For the Tart
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray the tart pan with nonstick spray.
- On a cool, flat and floured surface roll dough to a 13-inch circle. Transfer to the tart pan.
- Beat eggs and salt. Add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Gouda cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Pour cheese mixture into the pan and smooth evenly. Top with tomatoes. Sprinkle rosemary over the top.
- Bake at 400° for 22 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and light brown on top.
- Cool slightly before cutting.