One Pan Zucchini Pesto Orzo Casserole recipe is bright, fresh, healthy, flavorful, and easy to put together! This summer dinner is packed with summer produce, zucchini, yellow squash, and basil.
ZUCCHINI PESTO ORZO CASSEROLE
My new favorite pasta is orzo. It doesn’t really cook faster than other pasta, but it cooks about 10 minutes faster than rice.
This recipe cooks in 20 minutes and takes just under 10 minutes to prep depending on how quickly you slice. Therefore, you can have this casserole on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Actually, even though it is meatless, we have it as our meal. You can always serve it alongside chicken, fish, or other protein.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS CASSEROLE
The full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions for cooking is at the bottom of this post. You can also create a personal and private recipe box and save this recipe along with any recipes on Call Me PMc so that you always know where they are when you need them.
- Zucchini or yellow squash.
- Olive oil.
- Shallot. You can use onion.
- Seasoning. I used salt, pepper, low sodium Cajun seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- New Orleans Sausage Shrimp Crawfish Pasta
- One Pan Bake Caprese Orzo
- Bowtie Pesto Pasta Salad
- Burrata Basil Pesto Pasta
- One Pot Italian Sausage Orzo
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
If you made and love this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating and leave me a comment. As well, I would love it if you shared my site with your friends. I don’t have a huge budget to advertise and most everyone finds me by word of mouth and referrals from their friends. A huge thank you for sharing! And, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo when you make one of my recipes.
ZUCCHINI PESTO ORZO CASSEROLE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium shallot chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon low salt Cajun seasoning
- 1 and ½ cup cheese grated
- 8 ounces pesto
- 1 pound dried orzo
- 2 and ½ cups water
- Take the zucchini out of the oven. To the same pan, add the orzo and pesto. Pour over 2 and 1/2 cups of water over the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for 14 to 16 minutes. Most of the water should be cooked into the pasta at this point. There may be a little in the bottom of the dish, but that's okay.
- Stir the pasta around, then sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake another 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling. If there's a lot of oil from the pesto on top, drain off the excess. Top with fresh basil!