Decadent Crawfish Mac and Cheese – rich and flavorful crawfish adds kick to this favorite recipe. Make a big batch of this bacon, cheesy, spicy pasta!
Trust me, you want fresh!
Add cheese, when melted, add pasta.
and half the bacon, stir
- 8 oz pasta
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 T butter
- 2 T self-rising flour
- 1 c half and half
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 quart water
- 2 c cooked crawfish tails
- 1½ c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ c shredded monterrey jack cheese
- 2 T breadcrumbs
- Add 1 tsp salt to 1 quart water in a medium size pot. Bring to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the package directions to the al dente stage. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet (or oven proof pan), remove when crisp and crumble. Set aside.
- In the skillet that bacon was cooked, melt butter on medium heat. Add onions and cook 2 minutes. Add 2 T flour and cook 1 minute. Add half and half and whisk to prevent clumps. Add Cajun seasoning and crawfish tails and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until crawfish are heated through. Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Fold pasta and half of the bacon into cheese sauce, careful not to break pasta. I transfered to smaller serving dishes, but you could leave in one large skillet. Top with remaining bacon and bread crumbs. With oven on broil, place in oven and toast, watching carefully, until breadcrumbs are golden.
- Remove garnish with green onions slices. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.