3 Squash Ricotta Stuffed Shells Casserole Recipe makes the most of the fall squash harvest. It’s filling and flavorful.
Jumbo shells are filled with roasted squash and ricotta and smothered in a creamy sauce.
I used zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash in this recipe. It’s hearty and satisfying even though it’s meatless.
Whenever I make an entrée recipe that doesn’t have meat in it, Big Daddy always asks, “Where’s the meat?”. This 3 Squash and Ricotta Stuffed Shells Casserole Recipe is satisfying without meat. However, if you’re family is like mine, you can easily add 1 cup cooked, cubed chicken to the mixture.
I had never eaten butternut squash until last year. It’s one of my most favorite vegetables now. I roast it most often then use it in various recipes like Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese, and Caramelized Onion and Butternut Squash Pesto Pizza.
3 Squash Ricotta Stuffed Shells Casserole Recipe
For this 3 Squash and Ricotta Stuffed Shells Casserole Recipe, I pan sautéed the squash. I then made the cream sauce in the same pan making for easier clean-up but also to use all the delicious flavors that were already in the pan. It’s the same concept as making gravy in the pan you cooked meat in, all those stuck-on bits and pieces add flavor to the sauce!
This recipe makes a great entrée or side dish.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
3 squash and ricotta stuffed shells casserole recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8- ounce large pasta shells
- 1 and ½ cups butternut squash
- 1 and ½ cups yellow squash 1 small
- 1 and ½ cups zucchini squash 1 medium
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Heat oil in 12-inch saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Move vegetables from pan to a platter. Carefully stir ricotta into warm vegetables being careful not to break the vegetables.
- Add butter to pan and melt.
- Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and cook 2 to 3 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray an 11.5x8 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour 1 cup sauce in bottom of casserole dish.
- Fill shells with squash and ricotta mixture placing each filled shell into the prepared casserole dish.
- When all shells are filled, pour cream sauce over shells.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.