Applebee’s Wonton Chicken Tacos recipe has a fun look, mild sauce, tangy slaw, and extra crunch shells. Kids love these mini tacos but they’re great for adults or for appetizers.
Make these Applebee’s Wonton Chicken Tacos Recipe at home tonight. It’s the perfect copycat recipe.
APPLEBEE’S WONTON CHICKEN TACOS
Wonton wrappers are folded and cooked like taco shells. Next, the taco-shaped wontons are filled with oriental seasoned chicken, then topped with sesame ginger coleslaw.
They are delectable!
WHAT DO I NEED TO GET STARTED WITH APPLEBEE’S WONTON CHICKEN TACOS?
The full recipe with amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post. As well, set up your recipe box for free so you will never lose this wonderful recipe.
- Chicken breasts – or thighs
- Teriyaki sauce – Teriyaki sauce or hoisin sauce
- Sesame oil – toasted is great as well
- Soy sauce – low sodium
- Minced garlic
- Fresh ginger. If there’s one ingredient that you simply must use fresh it’s ginger. Dried ginger tastes nothing like fresh ginger. Ginger is a root and it adds so much flavor to recipes. A little ginger goes a long way! It’s in the produce section of your grocery store. It’s inexpensive and you’ll just need a very small knob. As well, it’ll last 3 to 4 weeks on the countertop.
- Coleslaw mix with carrots
- Green onion slices
- Rice vinegar. I use organic whenever I can.
- Lime juice
- Wonton wrappers. I use these small square wonton wrappers.
- Sweet chili sauce – P.F. Changs has a great one, but any brand is fine
- Sesame seeds – I like to use a little black and white, but either is fine
BEST TIPS FOR COOKING YOUR WONTON TACOS
- Be diligent in watching the chicken as it cooks and don’t overcook it.
- You may have extra sauce left after cooking, drain it before adding it to the tacos to keep the tacos from getting soggy.
- If coleslaw mix isn’t available, you can shred your own cabbage. Be sure to add some shredded carrots for color and nutrients.
- Adding some bean sprouts is a great option.
HOW TO MAKE WONTON WRAPPERS INTO TACO SHELLS
- Heat the oven to 375°.
- Place the wonton wrappers over the edge of a 9×13-inch pan and spray them with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven and bake until lightly browned for about 7 minutes.
HOW SHOULD I STORE LEFTOVERS?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Relish
- Skinny Pomegranate Margarita
- Breakfast Pancake Tacos Recipe
- Skinny Margarita
- Walking Tacos
- Homemade Fried Chicken Tenders
- Southwest Chicken Wraps with Southwest Sauce
- Jack in the Box Tacos
- Fish Tacos
APPLEBEE'S WONTON CHICKEN TACOS
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
For the chicken
- 2 medium chicken breasts diced
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons green onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger grated
For the tacos
- 16 4-inch wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Combine the chicken, teriyaki, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger together in a bowl. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375°. Place the wonton wrappers over the edge of a 9x13-inch pan and spray them with cooking spray. Place in the oven and bake until lightly browned for about 7 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken and sauce to the pan. Cook the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes, turning on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Spoon a few pieces of chicken into the wontons, top with slaw, and add some chili sauce, cilantro, and sesame seeds.