Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Relish can be on the table in under 30 minutes. Mango and avocado brighten the tacos and that sauce is a winner! Healthy never tasted so good.
Wesley recently went on a fun fishing trip and caught the prized “redfish” out of the Gulf of Mexico. Redfish is a mild fish and apparently difficult to catch since all the guides were excited for him. Now, that’s not the real name, but that’s what he kept calling it. He knew immediately he wanted to grill some for Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Relish.
Why were we so excited about Fish Tacos?
We’ll it’s one of the few foods all four of us eat. I know, random for kids, especially my super persnickety foodie, Lincoln. We learned about a year ago if we can get him to help cook, he’ll more likely try new food. And, he loves to grill, so the odds were in our favor on this one.
I asked him to help. He lit the grill and seasoned the fish. Now, I don’t even like to season raw meat! But, he’s super particular about everything and he likes to get the seasoning perfectly even. I’d rather him be a perfectionist than at the other end of the spectrum!.
By the time the grill was hot and the fish were ready to go on, Wesley got home and helped with that part. I’m not exactly crazy about Lincoln actually putting items on and taking them off the grill at least not until he’s older!
And, it worked! He tried it and he liked it! Score!!
Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Relish Tips
I like to make the salsa first so it’s ready when the fish is.
I have used both flour and corn tortillas in this recipe and like them both. Also, try whole wheat or sun-dried tomato wraps. They’re all good but the sun-dried tomato flour tortillas will give a totally different flavor to your tacos.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Relish
- 4 filets tilapia any mild white fish - red fish, mahi mahi, grouper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas plain, whole wheat or flavored
- 3 cups Spring mix lettuce less if you prefer
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 mango diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 3 Tablespoons red onion
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro more if you prefer
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce more is you like it hot
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
For taco sauce:
- Mix juice and zest of one lime, Sriracha sauce and mayonnaise together until smooth. Refrigerate.
For the Salsa
- Combine avocado, mango, tomato, red onion, cilantro and white wine vinegar. Refrigerate until fish are cooked.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees. Cover each fish filet with olive oil, salt, and pepper on both sides. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fish. My fish took about 15 minutes to cook. I put the grill lid down and turned to the second side about 9 to 10 minutes in. I recommend using a grill basket for fish.
- Layer 2 oz fish in the center of the flour tortilla, 1/2 cup Spring mix, 1/4 cup avocado/mango mixture, and top with 1 to 2 Tablespoons sauce.