Healthy Fish Tacos Recipe is bright, fresh, healthy, packed full of flavor, and ready in about 20 minutes.
Fish and shrimp both cook really quickly. For this reason, they are mainstays on my weekly menu. They’re also healthy if you pan sauté or grill.
Furthermore, if you want to save on carbs you can top lettuce or slaw with the fish and omit the wrap.
As well, you can substitute fresh, medium-size shrimp instead of fish for this recipe.
HEALTHY FISH TACOS RECIPE
- Fish. A mild white fish is best. I recommend tilapia, mahi-mahi, snapper, cod, flounder, grouper. If you’re from the South, catfish is usually easy to get fresh.
- Tortillas. I prefer flour tortillas but you can also use corn, gluten-free, keto, or your favorite.
- Toppings. You can go plain or loaded. I dressed these with taco sauce, cheese, and cabbage. There are more ideas for you below.
HOW TO DRESS FISH TACOS
- Cotija Cheese or your favorite cheese
- lime – Never underestimate the power of freshly squeezed lime juice!
- Tomatoes, diced
- Onions, diced
- Pickles onions
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tangy Slaw has a vinegar instead of a mayonnaise base
- Shredded cabbage
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Black Bean Salsa or Pineapple Salsa
- Fresh Mango Salsa
- Fish Taco Sauce
FAVORITE SEAFOOD RECIPES
- Sauteed Tequila Lime Shrimp
- Shrimp Pasta in Spicy New Orleans Tomato Cream Sauce
- New Orleans Sausage Shrimp Crawfish Pasta
- Fish Nachos
- Chicken and Shrimp Nachos
- Greek Seafood Nachos
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version on September 11, 2012. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Did you enjoy these Fish Tacos? Be sure to leave a 5-star rating and a comment below!
Healthy Fish Tacos Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 and ½ pound fish filets any mild flavored white fish, I used tilapia
- ¼ teaspoon each salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cabbage shredded, or lettuce
- 1 large tomato peeled and diced
- 1 medium avocado diced (optional)
- ½ cup cheese your favorite cheese (optional)
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium. Place fish in pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook fish 2 to 3 minutes on the first side then turn for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the pan and immediately build your taco. In a heated flour tortilla, layer fish, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese and sauce. Serve immediately.