A basic cole slaw recipe, Tangy Vinegar Based Slaw is zippy and crunchy flavored with a little heat and a pinch of sweet.
This coleslaw recipe works because it’s simple, light, fresh-tasitng, and ready in minutes.
Tangy Vinegar Based Slaw
When it comes to cole slaw and pasta salad recipes, I tend to like vinegar based recipes over mayonnaise based recipes. White wine vinegar with a touch of sugar brings out the natural flavor of this basic slaw mix. Whereas, with mayonnaise based sauces, I feel like I can only taste mayonnaise.
Tangy Vinegar Based Slaw is a basic coleslaw recipe that’s good to have on your roster. It’s one of those recipes that after a couple of times making it you won’t even look at the recipe anymore. And trust me, you’ll use it time and again.
Tangy Coleslaw Dressing
First of all, this slaw is good by itself as a side item. It goes with burgers, barbecue, grilled chicken, and fish equally well. However, don’t stop there, It also livens up any sandwich, wrap, or taco you put it on. As a bonus tip, it’s great for potlucks and family reunions where you need a recipe that can sit out for a while.
There’s a local restaurant that has it available at lunch to eat any way you want. Therefore, I spoon a big helping on top of everything on my plate. It’s like ketchup for ketchup lovers, just put it on everything!
Tangy Vinegar Based Slaw Ingredients
- Cabbage. For me the key is cutting the cabbage very thin.
- Green onions. I prefer to add just the green part. However, if you want a stronger onion flavor, you can add the white onion.
- White wine vinegar. Vinegar keeps the cabbage tender crisp.
- Sugar. There isn’t enough sugar to make this coleslaw sweet yet there’s enough to cut the sharpness of the vinegar. You can cut back on the sugar or substitute coconut sugar.
- Olive oil. Use a good olive oil for this recipe, the flavor shines through.
- Black pepper. Freshly grated black pepper has more flavor.
- Celery seed. Adjust the amount to your tastes.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Tangy Vinegar Based Slaw
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 16- ounce bag shredded cabbage mix
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced, green part only
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon celery seed
- *optional – 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or almonds 1 thinly sliced jalapeno
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
- Pour over cabbage mix and green onions. Toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Keeps 3 days in the refrigerator.